Hydra...Oh Dear

woopderson

So I have spotted only a few Hydra, but where there are few, there are more.  They have appeared in my 20g invert community tank. I have nerites, yellow neos, babaultis, and thai micro crabs.  I also just noticed my first baby shrimps yesterday. Oh dear!

I am looking for suggestions on how to proceed. I am leery about putting fenbedazole/treatments like it in there for fear of killing the crabs or nerites.

There seems to be some threads on various forums that describe pond snails eating them.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Any other recommendations on how to proceed?

Thank you in advance!

Get a pipette and suck them out or suck them out during a water change.

I had Spixi snails eat hydra and I would keep them now but I am sure they wouldn't fair well in my soft acidic water.

Spixi snails do eat hydra but their shells don't hold up well in soft acidic water.  I had them in those conditions and their shells just dissolved and became paper thin.  could you remove the crabs or nerites while treating? 

My PH is around 7, do Spixis need higher than that? 

I could move the snails/crabs, but I don't have another neutral PH aquarium. They would have to go in a bucket or something! I have also heard that after treating with that product the nerites can't go back in. What is your experience?

Spixi snails do eat hydra but their shells don't hold up well in soft acidic water.  I had them in those conditions and their shells just dissolved and became paper thin.  could you remove the crabs or nerites while treating? 

I have used the dewormer several times without deaths but I don't keep nerites.  I have heard from multiple sources of people losing nerites when using the dewormer.  I don't know if it is a few deaths or all their nerites though. 

I sell Fendendazole if you wanted to give it a try.  It is $4 and will treat 25 gallons.  I have heard of people using a half dose for hydra but I always just dose the .1g/10gal.  The brand doesn't matter as long as it contains Fendendazole which is the active ingredient.

If I treat with Fenbedazole, can I perform a water change (or multiple wcs), and then add the nerites back in ?

I have used the dewormer several times without deaths but I don't keep nerites.  I have heard from multiple sources of people losing nerites when using the dewormer.  I don't know if it is a few deaths or all their nerites though. 

I sell Fendendazole if you wanted to give it a try.  It is $4 and will treat 25 gallons.  I have heard of people using a half dose for hydra but I always just dose the .1g/10gal.  The brand doesn't matter as long as it contains Fendendazole which is the active ingredient.

That is also what my reading has also turned up. Some say that nerites will die, and others say that they performed water changes, and added carbon into the filter. After which they were able to add nerites.  Worst comes to worst I could try a different snail if the nerites die, but I would much rather have them live. I will watch the tank for the next week and see if I spot any more hydra. I will reduce feedings quite a bit as well.

If more hydra appear after reducing feeding then I will purchase some fenbendazole from Oblongshrimp. 

I've heard conflicting reports on that.  Some say it stays in the substrate and silicone for awhile.

Took another look through my tank for Hydra. Infestation is worse than I thought. I will arrange some housing for the nerites.  Ordering some fenbedazole from Oblong.

Most definitely ;)

Until the fenbendazol arrives, I am trimming the plants that I find hydra hanging on to.

Make sure theirs not hydras on the snails shell.

• 3 years later...