Green "fungal" infection on red cherry swimmerets.

Hey guys, 

I will try to cut a long story short here, but basically I have a problem with one of my red cherry shrimp.

I have 4 red cherry shrimp in a 60 L tank. All water parameters are in check; no ammonia, low nitrates, PH is at 7.. the shrimp are roving around grazing and apparently doing very well.. except for one shrimp.

I have a male who has some green abnormality growing from his swimmerets. During all my learning about shrimp care I came across this briefly and I spotted it early on my shrimp and knew this is not good news. 

Apparently this is a fungal infection of one form or another but I have not been able to identify it by name or really find too much information about it (causes / treatment etc..)

I have taken one or two pictures which show the issue on my shrimp but for an initial picture I will simply link this picture I found online which shows a more advanced and obvious case of the same infection. 

P2243719cropped.jpg

There is nothing conclusive online (that I have found) to advise me going forward.. I have isolated the only shrimp showing signs of this infection in a breeding box.

I have medicated his isolation tank with a dose of JBL Fungol and also Pimafix in hopes of curing him. He has been in this tank for 48 hours now. So far he still has these green abnormalities on him and I don't really see much sign of improvement yet.

Has anyone had this issue before? If anyone can shed any light on how, what, where and why I would appreciate it.

That is very common in imported shrimp. There have been a number of posts about it here and on Facebook shrimp groups. Unfortunately I have not heard of anyone that has been able to completly cure their shrimp. Somone posted about having success reducing the growth by keeping the shrimp in pitch dark. Their shrimp still died. Sorry I hope t his doesnt spread but it is not good.

Rye thanks for the swift response, though I was hoping for a better prognosis than that :( 

Soothing; thanks for your reply and yeah, I made absolutely sure that I am correct. I would upload a picture of my shrimp but unfortunately it is not super clear and will most likely make people think I am confusing it with eggs. In person you can clearly see it is not berried and it 100% resembles the growths on the picture I included in my original post. I checked 40 thousand times in hopes that I am wrong. 

I am super sad. The prospect of other shrimp just randomly getting it and me having zero options for treatment is kinda scary if I'm honest.

:( Poor shrimp is right, bostoneric. 

Soothing, Yeah I would absolutely consider that for sure. The only thing is that I live in Ireland so (with my limited knowledge) I'm not sure if I could put even European or UK shrimp through the task of arriving all the way here. Unless ofc I found a good Irish breeder. 

Is the general consensus that this infection is mainly caused due to imported or poor quality shrimp or is this still likely to be caused by something environmental? Though none of the other shrimp are showing any signs of this issue, it would be great to know more about this, my first tragedy, before I move forward in any direction.

I appreciate all the replies.

Is this one of those 'try a salt dip' things? For some reason I thought I remember someone saying how some of the 'things' would fall off with each dip? Maybe I am thinking of something else? It was actually 'critters' that were attached but I thought it was this situation?

Thanks Rye, I've got vol 1 of his Breeders n Keepers magazine in front of me, his email is in the back of it. I will shoot him a mail and if he manages to get back to me I will post any further information in this thread.

I just searched online for his name and any possible mention of this issue and could not really find anything.

I guess I am taking this straight to the top (lol). Is this like me calling Obama to ask what to do with a dollar bill I ripped by accident?

Joking aside, I will ask and see what happens.

Crazy, thanks for your reply, I too have seen some mentions of salt dip being used to treat (maybe) this and other infections. I would be willing to try this. While my little guy is alive and seemingly OK in his isolation tank I may try the salt dip method; I will have to read up a bit more exactly on how to do this.

AHA!  As we posted more, something clicked in my mind.  Knew I saw it somewhere before! :)

Here's how one person Cured his green fungus.  His name is Sewoeno and this is how he did it:

"a while back i posted a thread about that disease thats popping up in some shrimp. looks furry and green like deflated eggs under the belly? well i'm happy to say i cured my little shrimp! i still have him in QT but i don't see any signs of it on him anymore.

i know you all say that 'ick' med is bad for inverts, but maybe hes strong (blue neo) but i did dips of it every couple of days over the past 2 weeks. about 1-3 drops in less than a gallon of water. one time i left him overnight because i forgot but still was kicking. its the malachite green / formalin products. be careful obviously but it was a success! hope you give it a try if you see that on your shrimp too..."

It may be a protozoan of the Ellobiopsidae familty and not a fungal infection. Antifungals might have little effect. In order to protect your other healthy shrimps, I would euthanize the shrimp ASAP and clean the tank to be on the safe side.

Here is a article in German about this parasite.

In addition what I wrote above it basically says that not too much is known about it and that it is no clear if it is really harmful. It is mainly found in animals imported from Asia.

http://www.crustahunter.com/falscher-pilzbefall-falscher-garnelenschimmel-ellobiopsidae/

http://www.jstor.org/stable/20104153?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

BUY SHRIMPS LOCALLY, IF POSSIBLE.

Nice one Soothing!! Some hope!

OK just a quick message to say thank you very much to everyone here commenting. I am delighted to hear there is maybe even a slight chance of a recovery here. The poor guy is currently living in isolation and being treated with some JBL Fungol (Malachite green and crystal violet). As far as the eye can tell, the infection does not seem to be growing - If anything, though not super clear, the infection may have reduced in appearance ever so slightly. 

I have to pop out of the house for a little bit; but when I get back I will read up on your information, Steve,

Thanks again to everyone who is helping me out here!

I think it is a slim shot, but you might look at grabbing some roobios tea (you may be able to find it at a local grocery/health/asian market ) and brewing this up to use as a little health boost to the remaining shrimp.

I think it is usually used to treat fungal issues, but it supposed to be a sort of health-tonic, as well: "It boosts immune systems, contains powerful antioxidants, is antimicrobial, antifungal, and contains an assortment of minerals"

OK guys, 

I have mailed Chris Lukhaup; if he responds I will post any information here. 

Steve; thank you, those are some interesting links. I google translated the German one and there was some interesting information in there. According to this article it is possible that this is not a typical "fungal infection" which means normal anti-fungal medication may be ineffective. Then it also said that this condition has been reported in some cases to go away by itself under optimum environmental condition.

(An image of the translated article posted by Steve: http://i.gyazo.com/9d05c96272bb9c7fcda260be3ab8dd73.png )

35ppt; Thanks for the suggestion. I am open-minded about finding an effective treatment and would consider this as there is no definitive treatment that I am aware of. 
I have beta-g that should be arriving tomorrow, as well as some amino acid formula.

So, as we speak, still not sure if we can treat this illness or not. 

Thanks all, will keep you updated on what happens.

Of of the guys on Facebook claims to have cured 1 shrimp and has others that are being successfully treated using the following protocol.  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17847149/Treatment%20Protocol%20For%20Green%20Parasite%20on%20RCS%20V1.0.pdf

We need people with infected shrimp to give it a try to see if it pans out as a legit treatment.

Desert, this sounds promising !!! Thank you very much for this link. I notice in these instructions you posted it is also referred to the name Ellobiopsidae which matches the description given by Steve R earlier in this thread. 

I will head out right now to get aquarium salt and also hopefully will find this seachem paraguard locally too, otherwise I will have to order online.

Will use these instructions and report back any developments. 

I'm all ears for your results.  As I pointed out the author of the .pdf - until that methodology has been replicated many time can we deduce that it's the methodology curing the animal of the protist infection.  But - it's a place to start.  I had heard that malachite green was effective - but that was not the case when I tested using Kordon Malachite green in situ.  Perhaps it would be used as a dip.  I also tried Benibachi - Planaria Zero in very high doses in situ and had no joy.   

There is a cure for this infection - but it will require patience, persistence, and communication to find an effective treatment, and then to refine it.