Anyone use 6 X 9 LongLife® Breather Bags yet?

dontbend

To tell if it really works, someone with the right equipment can only test if it does what it says.

If someone has CO2 and a oxygen amount test, they can test to see if it really works or if it's just a bag printed claiming something it doesn't do to easily profit.

I never used it before but I know other that have and said that some of the bags burst while being shipped. Sadly, not sure if my information is correct, Kordon stopped making the smaller bags.

I bought some of these, haven't shipped any in them yet, but I did bag up 11 shrimp and had them in the bag all day. I was given them to someone local but I wanted to see how the bag did.

Again... no shipping involved but they were bagged in the morning, given to her early in the evening and then made the drive to her house and all was well.

I'm guessing if the 'breathable' part was an issue they wouldn't have done just fine.

I bought some of these, haven't shipped any in them yet, but I did bag up 11 shrimp and had them in the bag all day. I was given them to someone local but I wanted to see how the bag did.

Again... no shipping involved but they were bagged in the morning, given to her early in the evening and then made the drive to her house and all was well.

I'm guessing if the 'breathable' part was an issue they wouldn't have done just fine.

I don't think one day is enough to prove anything :(

Back then, there were no breather bags yet people were able to transport fish fine in just regular poly bags.

So why switch to breather bags when poly bags in the past have shown results?

I've received fish in poly bags in 3 day shipment.

Pretty sure people got breather for CO2/O2 exchange.

You are probably very right, I've never done it... was just offering the only experience I had :)

I'll look at the bags I have at home, that I have received shrimp in, that kept them alive and healthy for nearly a week...

Thanks for the fast inputs.

I got a hold of a used long life bag and the Material feels like an regular bag so far. I'm going to add shrimps and let the bag sit for three days to see how it goes.

The advantage of the breathable bags is shrimp have exoskeletons which don't stand up so well to the sloshing and tossing they receive in poly bags that have 80% air volume.  

Now that I know Kordon doesn't make the smaller bags anymore I understand why I can't find them. :growl:

Another reason I am so nervous to cross over into the world of shipping out shrimp. :( I bought the bags I did buy just to have something on hand and the reviews were pretty good. 

Thought I have heard horror stories on the kordons bursting or untying too so not sure I am brave enough yet

• 9 months later...

Ok so a couple of months down the line what's the verdict and conclusion here..? Has anybody tested those green Long Life breather bags for a long haul three day shipment ?

I used the smaller kordon bags back in June for an incoming shipment and one of the ten bags split open on route ! All the BB were swimming about the polycontainer and amongst the shredded newspaper fortunately all miraculously survived :).  To me the secret in using breather bags for shrimp is how the bags are packed in the box, as it's vital they are isolated from each other to breath, so little partitions made from thin polyboard seem to works well from my experience.

https://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi8x8Gc05_KAhVFQhQKHd2dB9gQFgghMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aliexpress.com%2Fstore%2Fproduct%2F500pcs-aquarium-breathing-bag-size-18-25cm-For-transporting-fish-shrimp-and-aquatic-plants%2F722526_1657760935.html&usg=AFQjCNEVZ7n34aVvFWYsZ8sYQFOG_z_7Dg

Hey Purplepanda. I'm so glad you revived this thread. I just sent my first shipment last week with kordon breather bags and the seams were blowing out. We decided to rubberband both bottom & top and double bag and still the inner bag leaked. Frustrating!

I have used both types of bags. The new kordon bags are different aren't they!?. No longer the side seams. Now there is just a stretchy bottom seam. These work well, no leaks but they are much thicker then the older kordon bags we were all buying last year... So it needs to be twisted and rubber banded. I'm not sure if anyone noticed but you couldnt find kordon bags anywhere for awhile.. that was because kordon had flaws with the seams of the bags (major leaks) and they have now released the new bags, which are the ones with the stretchy bottoms and are noticeably way thicker plastic then the old ones...

As for the green Long Life Bags, the only time I had any issue was in the beginning. I was tying the bags too tight with water, and yes I had a few that did leak and split.

Since then, I started letting the bags be more squishy then taut, and there has been no issue at all. You cannot tie them tight/taut like water balloons. They will burst in transit or good chance of it. If you make the bags rather squishy and flatter, you will not have this issue. Your shrimp and fish will live for 3+ days no problem in the Long Life bags, I use them all the time now.

I think with any bag there is always a chance of breaking or leaking. You just have to pack with care and make sure you do not put too much water in the bags and tie them so round that upon impact they will burst.

I am a huge fan of breather bags. I have had plenty of fish and shrimp take longer then expected to arrive and with the breather bags they have lived for sometimes a week + with no problems at all. Just sayin, I've not seen fish alive in a poly bag after 7 days!

I agree, I have had great luck thus far with the 6 x 9 Long Life Breather Bags. 

another update.

I had 15+ shrimps in for 6 days, all made it alive but the bag does had some water seepage. The top part of bag was seal off too.

The bag does work though.. love using them for swaps.