Help! Two deas shrimp in two days!

JenNeal28

Hey guys, I'm really sad and need some advice! [emoji22] Here's the low down...

My tank: 29 gallon planted community tank. It has a few guppies and neons, two yoyo loaches, a neon blue and a red flame gourami, a bumblebee goby, a mystery and assassin snail, five cherry shrimp, four ghost shrimp, four amano shrimp, and one shrimp that I can't identify. (Was supposed to be a cherry...but the little fella isn't at all red.)

I'm on the upswing of ridding my tank of a mild blackbeard outbreak. I've been doing more frequent water changes, have only turned the light on while feeding and doing water changes, and have been dosing with Flourish Excel this week, according to direcrions.

Last night I lost a cherry shrimp and saw my goby snacking on it, so I immediately assumed he'd attacked it. I've seen him be grumpy and territorial, so it didn't seem unlikely that he was the culprit. Then tonight I found a dead amano, fully intact, and a second amano that was in rough shape...sluggish, chillin on the aquarium floor. So, I actually think the goby *might* be in the clear.

Any thoughts as to what could be killing my shrimp? Is it the flourish excel dosing? The frequency of water changes? Is my goby a jerk?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

My experience with Amano shrimp is that they are sensitive to Flourish Excel. I half dose only after water changes, and just spot treat the BBA in my 65-gallon community planted tank. I run CO2 on all the other days.

My experience with Amano shrimp is that they are sensitive to Flourish Excel. I half dose only after water changes, and just spot treat the BBA in my 65-gallon community planted tank. I run CO2 on all the other days.

Yes they are sensitive to  excel and to co2....

JenNeal28 what is the water parameters of the tank ?

You know that the guppies prefer hard water , and neons soft water?

The yoyo loaches need a biger aquarium ...

The bumblebee goby need high ph ...

So you must see what fish you want to keep ...

You are loosing shrimp because the fish eat them.