California water crisis

So I see in the new that California has now declared a water emergency. This got me thinking there are a lot of members on here and breeders on the left coast. Has any one though about how this will affect there ability to get water. I can definitely see the cali government banning commercial RO units since they waste water. Thoughts.

have a gneiss day

The drought is why I won't move there. No more personal tanks, I would feel too irresponsible. Also, my non-aquatic pets consume a lot of water (cleaning up and also their food sources).

Well, that and the earthquakes.

The drought is why I won't move there. No more personal tanks, I would feel too irresponsible. Also, my non-aquatic pets consume a lot of water (cleaning up and also their food sources).

Well, that and the earthquakes.

Ya. California always seams to be dry, flooding, or burning. As far as earthquakes there nearly everyware. Except florida. Their the ground just disappears.

have a gneiss day

I'm in California. I use my RO waste water for my Sulawesi and neos. They do great in it. Waste water from water changes go to watering the vegetable garden. IMO Earthquakes are like a soothing massage chair. Tornadoes, sink holes blizzards and floods..... Well... That's a different story. This state could save a lot of water if they stop exporting so many almonds and dairy products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in California. I use my RO waste water for my Sulawesi and neos. They do great in it. Waste water from water changes go to watering the vegetable garden. IMO Earthquakes are like a soothing massage chair. Tornadoes, sink holes blizzards and floods..... Well... That's a different story. This state could save a lot of water if they stop exporting so many almonds and dairy products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for hijacking

You're in California?

Let's meet up some time and exchange shrimps!

I live in a apartment so I only pay a flat rate for water. I have yet to see any restrictions on household water usage. Most restrictions seem to be on lawn watering and irrigation. No doubt produce prices will rise because of it. Unless you are making a crap ton of ro every week, it is a very small amount compared to other uses. I have 3 tanks all 20 gallons or smaller and I go through about 8 gallons a week for top off and less than 5 every other week for water changes.

I've always thought that would be a great idea to build a pipeline for water from the east coast. Seems like a no brainer. Too bad nobody wants to pay for it.

This drought is just a natural cycle in my opinion. A whole lot of fear mongering going on. It would be a pretty awesome project to be involved in though. I'm surprised a pipeline has not been suggested yet though lol. My parents are still in CT and I was not missing home at all this past winter haha.

We have a lot of ground water where I live. It would be great if the city would tap in to that and store it for when needed. A lot of it comes out of the hill behind my house ends up in a culvert which dumps into the drain in the street. What a waste. :mad:

This drought is just a natural cycle in my opinion. A whole lot of fear mongering going on. It would be a pretty awesome project to be involved in though. I'm surprised a pipeline has not been suggested yet though lol. My parents are still in CT and I was not missing home at all this past winter haha.

Ya it's definitely a cycle if you look back through the history of the west there have been droughts that have lasted nearly 30 years. As far as a pipeline Is concerned most of the state's east of the Mississippi have locked up there water to prevent this. A Pipe lune has been suggested many times in the past to bring our water to the western deserts. The last groundwater treaty locked up the great lakes. A developer in AZ was attempting to get the feds to install a pipeline. But all states that touch the lakes including Canada blocked it. If I recall correctly it's called the great lake compact. What this boils down to is what ever water the west has access to now is all they get.

have a gneiss day

Back in the 70's there was a movement to pipe Columbia River water to Central Cali.  That drought passed and the idea was forgotten.  Meanwhile with all of that Columbia River water running past my house, we are looking at a drought this summer as well because much of the water for irrigation comes from the snow melt fed rivers that flow to the Columbia. There is no snow in the mountains this year. I'm sure there will be much hand wringing and gnashing of teeth - but this too will pass.

I live in Northern California - not too far from Mayphly.  I can't imagine living anywhere else - drought, flooding, earthquakes or not.  Beautiful place.  I use my ro waste water to top off my Jacuzzi and fill 5 gallon buckets to use for garden.  So really, we don't waste any water here.