California water crisis

I saw an article this week that Californian's are demolishing there pools. Is the state promoting this, or are these people just shortsighted. It seams that a pool would be a great way to collect rain water. You would just need to treat it so bugs don't thrive.

have a gneiss day

I'm in so cal. The local water districts are arguing with Sacramento over the amount of the water restrictions. My area is at level 1 but rumor is next few weeks will go to level 2. You can't fill pools during level 2 but you can refill outdoor ponds with aquatic life. At level 3, no new development requiring new water service is allowed. Some people are removing pools just because it is expensive to maintain. Some cities tried to ban new pools a few months ago and there was a big backlash.

post-150-0-52394500-1428762459_thumb.jpg

I keep all my water stored in 20g garbage cans. I use 3 of them. One for RO, one for Tap and one for waste. I top them off maybe once every 2 weeks when they get about 1/4 full. With covers on all my tanks I don't have that much evaporation at all and rarely need to do top offs. Recently I've been keeping water changes to once a month on some of my tanks with covers. Those tanks all the shrimp are berried and have babies in them. The most recent being the Super Hornets. In one month the TDS went from 160 to 163 with one top off in between. I think I can go even longer but I'm to chicken to try. Here is our water districts curent restrictions. I also heard that this will be changing soon to stricter regs.

Water Use Restrictions

• The application of potable water to outdoor landscapes in a manner that causes runoff-causing water to flow onto adjacent properties, non-irrigated areas, private and public walkways, roadways parking lots and/or structures

• The use of a hose that dispenses water to wash motorized vehicles, boats and trailers, except where the hose is fitted with a positive shut-off nozzle or device attached to it that causes it to cease dispensing water immediately when not in use

• Applying water to driveways and sidewalks

• The use of water in a fountain or decorative water feature, except where the water is part of a recirculating system

• The use of water to clean hard surfaces, such as sidewalks, driveways, and patios

• The service of water in restaurants, except on request

• The use of water on new outdoor ornamental landscaping or turf installed on or after September 1, 2014, unless the landscaping consists of low water use drought tolerant plants

• The irrigation of outdoor ornamental landscpes or turf with potable water more than 2 days a week---except when watering by hand-held bucket, hand-held hose with automatic shut-off valve, low volume irrigation system or water for very short periods of time for the express purpose of adjusting or repairing an irrigation system.

• 2 weeks later...