Amano Shrimp Larva

shouu

Wow you are going through some crazy experiments, congratulations. Its cool that your sharing your work with us, thanks I hope you are able to get them breeding in total freshwater or close to it. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Four of these Amano shrimp never see the day light of freshwater. They live their entire life in 10 ppt to 20 ppt brackish water ever since they were born. Never seen to care much about the Shrimp food. Think they live on diatoms and algae.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally found the optimal salinity for rearing F3 Amano Shrimp Larvae. They’re at 1/2 gallon brackish water at 24 ppt. Not using any foam filter. Don’t  have 24 hrs light on. 

Edited by shouu
Edited.

Just mixed the brackish water Amano shrimp in the opal ula tank. Brackish water grown Amano shrimp is 9 months to a year old at .75 inch and I think that all they going to grow.

• 2 weeks later...

After several failed start and about to quit breeding them,  finally found out that my tap water is a lot softer than use to by about 5GH.

After up the GH to the tap water and now they looking  good so far. 

Shouu, I just read you post from 2015, and it's impressive! Good job.
I always want it try breeding this shrimp, but never was confident that I can do this, after reading your success story, I think I will try this time :)
So in my planted tank I have about 10+ adult Amano shrimps and 2 females are always with eggs.
Before I start catching them, how do you know when larva is about to be dropped? (Maybe color change)
Before larva gets dropped you place female in 3Galon fresh water correct? And than adjust salinity to 1.018?

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

When the berried shrimp eggs turn from Dark color to grayish , i put the berried shrimp in a small container with some moss. 

Change one third of the water with a bit colder dechlorinated tap water every other days. Colder water seems to trigger the shrimp to release the Larvae when the berried shrimp ready.Work for me.

Catching the last few larvae, shots them on the sieve and transfer them to the brackish water.

Shouu,

So I separated female, did one WC and over night she dropped larvae.

Placed larvae in well cycled 2.5G tank with heater and very gently bubbling sponge filter 

Salinity 1.018

Larvae floating all over and I hope they doing well :)

How long to you keep light on?

Also I don't have algae on the walls like you showing in your videos, what can I use to start feeding ?

I have bucket with rain water outside that is very green color, I can filter (10 micron) and feed few drops of that, or I gave spirulina powder

Thank you

The tank is seeded with live Nanochloropsus (Japanese Chlorella) phytoplankton. Larvae feeding on algae in the tank and  I move the spot light around different parts of the tank, so they won’t pick clear on one area. Light on most of the time, sometimes off. Very careful not over feed them.

Thank you will keep eye how much food I add.
I'm not sure if I will be able to find Japanese plankton, but I will start will some spirulina and natural green water...

Do you do water change at all? Or just tapoff with RO water ?

Thanks again for your reply.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Testing the larvae vigor by way of a spot light high above the tank bottom at four inches and see how they swim to the light, so far they are in good shape. Can’t kept them in mid water and the go hunger as over filter the water filter all the phytoplankton floating in the water.

Turn off the lights some of the time and they will settle on the tank surface to get their nourishment.

• 2 weeks later...

Attempt #1, complete failure. On the 7/27 i transferred larva to SW, and by 8/3 all was dead 

I did clen tank bottom and did 3% WC once

I think they all died because they have nothing to eat, in your setup you have massive algae on all surface, maybe I will take this tank outside to it will build an algae and than i do shrimp transfer...

Or that will be "hair algae" and it's not going to work?

On 8/10/2019 at 5:17 PM, Hunter said:

Or that will be "hair algae" and it's not going to work?

Have to remove saltwater hair algae from the larvae rearing tank, Larvae will not feedings on hair algae, certainly Amano Shrimplets will. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...