Lowkeys absorption board?

Soothing Shrimp

• 2 months later...

I don't know the reasoning behind certain shrimp products. Some seems very illogical to me. Why depend on an absorption board when the more important thing would be a well balanced tank.

To me, that's like saying, "let's reckless add shrimps to an immature tank but add these absorption boards and we'll be fine."

Cool ideas, like those absorption and slow releasing nutrient balls, but ehhhh. Cool to look at, but is it really effective?

• 2 weeks later...

Im the same as sbarbee. I prefer to use them just in case.. Sometimes im away from my tanks for 3-4 days and if they work how they are supposed to work, they should help deal with an ammonia spike i might not catch while away from the tanks. I also like the added bonus of biofilm collecting on them so its like a slab of biofilm in the tank. I always have babies and peewees all over the boards picking off goodies to eat. Like most shrimp products who knows if they really work. I never had mass die offs before i used them, and i havent since.

Completely agreed with Steve and Dukendabeads, but it's a scary thought when you're telling me you worry about your parameters spiking ammonia after 3-4 days away. I wouldn't even know how that's possible but to each their own. I'm a sucker for shrimp tubes and other shrimp related products that are way over priced. [emoji106]

• 4 weeks later...

It there's ammonia/nitrite in your tank, your problem is too big to be fixed by a small plate. I bought one a year ago, still not in my tank yet ;-)

I've tried it before, I used ryouh stone that raised my ph, but then I also put in dw and ial and alder cones to lower the ph and keep it stable. It didn't work the rock won that battle. And I'm talking about 10 ial 50 alder cones and two pieces of Malaysian dw not boiled.

But as far as processed and manufactured products go I am not sure.

It there's ammonia/nitrite in your tank, your problem is too big to be fixed by a small plate. I bought one a year ago, still not in my tank yet ;-)

Truer words have never been spoken. [emoji106]

My absorption boards have grown a amazing biofilm unlike anything i have ever seen. There is always atleast 10-20 babies on it in my royal tank, will try to snap at pic at some point.

On the subject of products working against each other. In my royal tank i use Amazonia with seiryu stone, the soil helps keep the stone from altering params too greatly. Has worked great for me for the past 2 years. The stone allows me to keep my royals with all the benefits of ADA amd still keep params favorable for tigers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...