(trace)mineral nutrition - diet or water?

ive done a lot of reading and ive found that the answer to my question so far is that macro is important for freshwater crustaceans, and that both macro and micro is important for marine crustaceans.

could it be that you switched more than one of your methods at the same time when u had this improvement ryeguy?

love n peace

will

-EDITTED - the empirical evidence so far is - only macro is important in the water with freshwater shrimps. macro and micro are required for MARINE shrimps as has been pointed out in articles.

i have to say i was a little disappointed that shrimpydaddy linked me to 2 articles about marine shrimp (why?) and then when i pointed this out to him he said that he effectively had no time to explain this subject to me. but gave only anecdotal evidence as is standard practise in the hobby.

Now I wouldn't be leaping to any conclusions about his integrity based on this alone so far. he has a lot of time to explain things for me and for other people via PM I wonder if shrimpydaddys products are over prescribed much the same as he always says other product lines are?

btw shrimpfan did u just state that some people take a "less is more" approach while others "try to do everything they can to optimise shrimp health?" - you imply that those who practice the "KISS" approach don't do everything they can to care for their shrimp?

no offence intended to anyone (does this line sound familiar???) but i would NOT consider this statement to be true but instead to be the approach of someone who naively purchases products - because as I have repeated now many times - there are experienced and respected shrimpkeepers who do not depend on any expensive additives and who specifically state to have found no difference whether using micronutrients in the water or only using macronutrients.

if anyone can point out a scientific article about freshwater crustaceans and NOT about marine crustaceans it would be really enlightening! so far the only piece that mentions it suggests that with freshwate shrimps that there is no benefit in having micro-nutrients in the aquarium water column.

NB the thing that got me to pose this question in the first place is the fact that my initial shrimpkeeping journey (wirh NO additives just feeding a variety of community foods plus hikari algae wafers with LOTS of easycare plants) resulted in a population of 4 rcs expanding to a colony of many many thousands in just 1 year - all the while being preyed upon heavily by a large number of small-medium sized fish including hoardes of guppies, raspboras, danios and even ranging up to fish as large as cochus blue tetras.

now that im discoverint all these extra products people are addicted to using and swear by - im trying to determine what maybe helpful and what may not be. from what I've seen 9 times out of 10 that when switching to something new that more than one regime change is made at the same time.

im definitely not pointing fingers at any specific company but it is always true -

where there's money there will also be greed and I want to encourage people not to believe they need to buy the latest products without questioning the necessity first!

I will have to do a sidebyside - DIY mix based on seachem equilibrium of just calcium, magnesium and potassium sulphates vs DIY mix plus micronutrients.

im willing to bet the only difference is in plant health and the shrimp couldn't care less LOL!! but there needs to be a documented proof before one can be 100% certain. I just don't like to buy into things without seeing the proof first.

love n peace

will

Keep in mind that cherry shrimp, Neocaridina davidi, do not have the same requirements as the species that most of the additives on the market are targeting - Caridina genus crystal red shrimp and their highly selectively bred descendants. They might be more closely related to each other than they are to marine crustaceans but they are definitely not the same.