Help me pick substrate

You dont "have to" add anything to the substrate although there are many products out there for that purpose. If you are just keeping mischlings I would start out as simple as possible and then if you are successful you can branch out and try some other products. I would reccomend Bacter AE as it really helps to generate biofilm which is the shrimps primary food source. 

Mischlings are not super sensitve and be kept in many non ideal conditions, as long as your pH, gH and kH and TDS are within the range you should be fine. As you get more involved and want to invest more money there are more expensive shrimp and many products that can help increase things like color and breeding success that you may want to try.

Mischlings are not super sensitve and be kept in many non ideal conditions, as long as your pH, gH and kH and TDS are within the range you should be fine. As you get more involved and want to invest more money there are more expensive shrimp and many products that can help increase things like color and breeding success that you may want to try.

But I thought this was a cheap hobby? ha ha... ok can't even type that with a straight face ;)

But I thought this was a cheap hobby? ha ha... ok can't even type that with a straight face ;)

Yeah I thought this was cheap hobby also...But my daughter started BMX racing 2 years ago this is cheap compared to that!!!