Cherry shrimp selective breeding (newbie)

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to shrimp keeping, so sorry for all the stupid questions!

I have a tank with some cherries in it. They were rescued from a filter of one of my boyfriends fish tanks that used to have shrimps in. The poor guys didn't look to healthy, were very pale and quite small. But somehow they have survived and have started to breed.

I want to selectively breed them to try and improve the color of them. Some of the shrimps have coloured up nicely and I have a couple of really nice females. Some of them are however are still very pale, almost clear. (Will try to get some pictures tonight)

The fist lot of shrimplets have now grown and the females have got saddles.

Can the females breed as soon as they get saddles?

At what point do the final adult colours show, some of the young shrimps have saddles but are still really pale. And still quite small is tis due to genetics or are they just unhealthy? Is there anything I can do about it?

Any tips of how to selectively breed for colour would also be very helpful.

I also have some pest snails in the tank, is there any reason to remove them, will they cause any harm.

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks

If I notice a pale or clear shrimp with a saddle I know it will not develop the red color im looking for so I would cull. I like to let my colony get about 30-40 adults then cull out the light colored ones leaving only the darkest red but make sure to leave a few males.

Haha that's exactly what I've spent my day so far doing! Although I've had to make some modifications so the marina box sits on top, if I hang it on the front it blocked the view of the tank, and I didn't like having it hidden behind.

I've spent the afternoon catching all the ghostly types and putting them in there not sure what I'm going to do with then yet, but at least they won't be breeding into the main population at the moment. 90% of the young shrimp are very pale, the mothers are nice looking, but I don't have any decent males. The only down side is the air pump is very loud. Is there anyway to make them quieter?

New set-up

3456a32756f7bdde8aa3db5964a94a1a.jpg

Some of my younger babies (in the main tank)

fc0fd426601fad739111b23547ad00ff.jpg

Adult female

71db97550e1107091f66426945a7346b.jpg

Some of then are, but I have a whole bunch that have saddles. They are a significantly lower grade than the mothers, I'm not sure why there's such a difference, I can only assume it was down to the quality of male they bread with. (Sorry about the photo quality, but here's some examples of the first offspring of the nicer females)

Females

e8e6b067bfd122fcc8ead49de34caf59.jpg

511778faea8086f305e78b1abe9130ee.jpg

These are the males

46cdf7e9838a9c79703cbc1bd7792cc2.jpg

thats a very nice set up :) im not sure how to make the air pump quieter. i have mine on the front of my tank and my tank runs just on my one dual air pump lol. but good luck with breeding the clear looking ones. if you can get a stable line going i bet many people would be interested in them ;)

Hi Twister. Others will probably have other ideas for your air pump, but we have found that a big sponge from the hardware store is a cheap, quick, and easy fix. Just set the pump on it and it should quiet it down. I know there are silicone mats made as well, but the sponge is quick too.