Meat protein?

i have read on other forums about giving shrimp meat for protein and i was wondering what can be given to them meat wise? I have read about giving them frozen blood worms and Rapashy(what kind?) but what else is out there that they can have?

non-meat things have protein, too. Like mulberry leaf, bee pollen.

I would like to know how you assess the colony to know if they are getting enough/too much protein.

not enough and the shrimp will turn on each other. often its the shrimp who just molted.

not enough and the shrimp will turn on each other. often its the shrimp who just molted.

Are you joking or serious? I've noticed some odd deaths of freshly molted shrimp in my marina breeder box. I often wondered if the shrimp got attacked by the others since the molted shrimp's shell is still soft and there are not many places to hide in the marina. Please clarify

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's serious bud. In your box do you see the dead body in the box. Also how many shrimp are in the box? If there are a lot if shrimp (5-10) yes the body will disappear. But if it's only a couple (1-4) and check on your tanks normally you will most likely see the body. Also it depends if your shrimp have a lot of random deaths if they do it could mean that the fresh molted are getting picked off. If you have some deaths that occur and are wiping your population, whatever is killing your shrimps could kill the fresh molted... But you never know unless you know that shrimp and when he molts you never see him again.

I've never heard of this but it answers some questions I've had. The shrimp in my main display rarely die unless of old age and they molt fine. However, I've had odd deaths in my breeder box...sometimes after I find a molt. What's especially weird is that these shrimp are active and eating earlier in the day then suddenly, they are found dead or twitching later on.

I had passing thoughts about the possibility of freshly molted shrimp being attacked but didn't think it was a possibility. I keep berried females in separate large marina boxes...usually anywhere from 4-6 females and a bunch of shrimplets. So are you saying I need to feed more protein?

i have read on other forums about giving shrimp meat for protein and i was wondering what can be given to them meat wise? I have read about giving them frozen blood worms and Rapashy(what kind?) but what else is out there that they can have?

I'm not a big fan for meat protein. Meat protein will pollute water easily. The whole protein thingy started off with shrimp wafer was manufactured with the exact same ingredients as fish food. In the initial phase of the shrimp keeping hobby, the Japanese brand of shrimp food published how much fat and protein percentage is with their food. This is usually a standard for Japanese human food and they just do it shrimp food. Somehow, someone from Singapore or Europe started to talk about meat protein is essential for shrimp. After that, it started to become a myth that everyone follows even till now.

My shrimps are off meat protein (they are on plant protein and live microbes) for a year and they are still breeding like rabbit. Hence, this should be a myth.

Meet protein would be pat of their natural diet in the wild as well as plant protein. Protein in there diet is a must, because I have talked to many Taiwan, German, Poland, and Japanese breeders who supplement protein by frozen blood worms or black or dehydrated black or blood worms. Some are very well respected and award winning, others are some of the best breeders of new lines out there. I don't think it started as a myth, but more as people not wanting to give away some of there trade secrets that were so prizley held for a long time.

Meet protein would be pat of their natural diet in the wild as well as plant protein. Protein in there diet is a must, because I have talked to many Taiwan, German, Poland, and Japanese breeders who supplement protein by frozen blood worms or black or dehydrated black or blood worms. Some are very well respected and award winning, others are some of the best breeders of new lines out there. I don't think it started as a myth, but more as people not wanting to give away some of there trade secrets that were so prizley held for a long time.

Hmm... So have you tried not to feed any meat protein yourself before?

I did not feed meat protein when I first got serious about the hobby about 2 years in. I only feed natural organic plant foods I could get my hands on. From spinach to kale to amaranth leaves ro walnut leaves dandelion, and used Peter laden shrimp food. Which was 100% pant based protien. I did this for just over a year. As it was ok but I did noticed slower growth rate, and that babies really took long to develop out of there stage.

I find especially with tigers they need meat based protien or they do attach other shrimp often. They are super aggressive already, with the lack of meat protien it was even worse. Once frozen blood worms were talked about to me as a great food food by 2 breeds in europe I respected I went back to it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

After feeding only powdered foods, I recently fed some pelleted food to my red Taiwan Bee tank, BAM, 2 dead.

Not saying it's connected but who knows. No time to really investigate.

I tried the frozen blood worms and actually killed a handful of shrimp lol. Nothing was wrong before trying it I just jumped on the bandwagon when I first heard it and quickly jumped right back off.

I have not given my shrimp meat protein in over a year and never had issues.

Actually, it is has been proven that excess meat protein that will kill matured shrimp, especially female. Most of the experience breeders will tell you this.

This is due to excess meat protein will make them fat and they over-grown their exoskeleton, and they die because of their body is crushed by their own exoskeleton.

That is why you feed sparingly. And I agree to much protien of any type will cause to fast of growth and this issue.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

So what about that thing JayKidding was saying about shrimp turning on each other when they don't get enough protein? Could that really explain why some of my freshly molted females died in my Marina Breeder Boxes while the ones in the main display seem ok?

So what about that thing JayKidding was saying about shrimp turning on each other when they don't get enough protein? Could that really explain why some of my freshly molted females died in my Marina Breeder Boxes while the ones in the main display seem ok?

Shrimp gets violent during mating. If you have a lot of shrimp in a tank, you will sometime see them chew on the female's broken limb while mating. Most breeders will tell you that they will try to reduce the male shrimp population when the colony gets too big. This is one of the reasons why you get mostly male shrimps when you buy from Taiwanese breeder. 

If shrimp eat other alive shrimp but not during mating (female after moult usually is for mating and releases hormones), then the shrimp is starving. They are scavenger and they will eat anything. Their natural survival instinct will kick in such that the strongest will survive by consuming others when there is an opportunity.

Shrimp gets violent during mating. If you have a lot of shrimp in a tank, you will sometime see them chew on the female's broken limb while mating. Most breeders will tell you that they will try to reduce the male shrimp population when the colony gets too big. This is one of the reasons why you get mostly male shrimps when you buy from Taiwanese breeder. 

If shrimp eat other alive shrimp but not during mating (female after moult usually is for mating and releases hormones), then the shrimp is starving. They are scavenger and they will eat anything. Their natural survival instinct will kick in such that the strongest will survive by consuming others when there is an opportunity.

well said! 100% agree on the reason why we (usa) get so many males!