Controsoil

Where do you guys get your Controsoil?   I was browsing last night and am not finding any other than $172 dollars from Amazon.   THAT is not going to happen. 

Do most hobbists go Controsoil over Amazonia now?    

Check out www.controsoil.com, select "Products" tab, they will begin selling Controsoil on their website beginning July 27, 2015. $41.00 a bag.

They start selling it on their own website from 7/27/2015.

$41 for 10L bag, not sure about shipping yet.

Ok thanks guys. I did go to their site but it said 'Out of stock. " I will check again next week.  

Amazon is still showing $172  for me   Do you have a link to the $41 dollar bag Ryeguy?

best size for a healthy shrimp tank.  3mm?   I myself love fine sand, but I am afraid  the playsand may be what is causing some health issues in my tank with nothing able to slip between grains. 

Definitely go with the "Fine" version on the substrate. I have used all three sizes, the "Extra-Fine" is to light and moves quite easily, especially if you use a canister filter. I also noticed when doing a simple task as catching shrimp with my net the substrate moves quite significantly.

How hard do you all think it will be to change out the playsand from the tank and make it controsoil.  Ive been trying to work out the logistics in my head. 

post-451-0-37545900-1437783284_thumb.jpg

My problem has been zero baby survival and females dying as they hit maturity and start having babies.   Cant be bacterial, the males are all thriving  but I have lost almost every female.  I spoke with ShrimpDaddy.   His best guess is the playsand being so fine that nothing can fall between and making the water quality bad.  though the parameters are perfect with zero nitrates.  

SO I somehow have to get all that sand out and change it over.   

oh thats going to be miserable to change!! i suggest pulling all plants & habitants and tearing it down completely. save your filters/media since you are already cycled and just start new when you get the controsoil. it will take hours to finish but they can all go back in immediately after.

• 2 weeks later...

How hard do you all think it will be to change out the playsand from the tank and make it controsoil.  Ive been trying to work out the logistics in my head. 

What kind of shrimp do you have in it?

noes? or bee?

My problem has been zero baby survival and females dying as they hit maturity and start having babies.   Cant be bacterial, the males are all thriving  but I have lost almost every female.  I spoke with ShrimpDaddy.   His best guess is the playsand being so fine that nothing can fall between and making the water quality bad.  though the parameters are perfect with zero nitrates.  

SO I somehow have to get all that sand out and change it over.   

I am not an expert at all, quite new to shrimp keeping in fact, so I hate to question ShrimpDaddy who has clearly been at this a lot longer. However, changing your substrate seems like an enormous task and quite a thing to do if you're not sure it's the problem. It's just that it seems as if there are a lot of successful shrimp keepers out there that are using sand. Also, based on what little I've learned about water quality it would seem that having food etc fall down into the substrate would be worse for the quality rather than better. Anyway, just a thought and good luck whatever you decide to do!

What are you using for water? When I had an issue with my source water it was the mature females that I lost as well; everyone else seemed unaffected.

I am not an expert at all, quite new to shrimp keeping in fact, so I hate to question ShrimpDaddy who has clearly been at this a lot longer. However, changing your substrate seems like an enormous task and quite a thing to do if you're not sure it's the problem. It's just that it seems as if there are a lot of successful shrimp keepers out there that are using sand. Also, based on what little I've learned about water quality it would seem that having food etc fall down into the substrate would be worse for the quality rather than better. Anyway, just a thought and good luck whatever you decide to do!

What are you using for water? When I had an issue with my source water it was the mature females that I lost as well; everyone else seemed unaffected.

It depends on what type of shrimp you keep with sand.

neos does fine with sand or even bare bottom tank. not bee shrimp.

That's why I asked.

soill based substrate is essential to bee shrimp breeding.

Oops fell behind on this.  James  its TBs and mischlings and its crayola playsand which seems be to even more fine and more dense when wet then regular playsand.  

The shrimp did fine in it as juvies and the males are still doing fine but the females die as soon as they reach breeding age  some were able to give birth once or twice .     Zero babies survived past a couple weeks but juvies old enough to travel  (meaning ones I bought) did fine until maturity.  It is really strange.  The parameters are all perfect for TBs.  PH around 6, GH 4  nitrates 0  

Trotwood. I hear ya!!!  It is a drastic step.   But even worse than the work, I absolutely love my purple sand so its a bummer.   Regulars on this board though, can tell you I have been struggling with this tank for a year and a half. I have tried about everything else under the sun to fix it.  Ive asked  even in private messages some of the best shrimp keepers around  and noone has an answer except the sand.       It has been labeled "Tank o Death"    :)   

As for water Trotwood  I use 100 % RO  remin with MK Blue Diamond. 

Good news is I have all I need to make the new tank!  Controsoil is in. Brand new RO unit installed   Dead Sea Mud  per shrimpscales and Mayphlys suggestion.  Bactar AE.   New  AC  50 filter , New sponge filter.     

Thanks for the heads up on where to get the controsoil guys.  :) 

The only thing I am waffling on is whether or not to keep the Media that I have now.  I am  99% positive that this is not bacterial since the males are just fine ... on the other hand, if I am going to take the time to do it, it may be worth starting completely over.   

This feels more like male over aggression more than anything else. It wouldn't make sense that only females die. But then again, you did mention that babies aren't surviving. I had a similar issue with my 60P. But after a few die off, things are picking back up. I need more pandas and Blue Bolt but I'm confident my tank is stable again.