2 substrates

Does anyone using controsoil use a different substrate below it since it is so expensive?   Like regular inert gravel with controsoil on top?   or would that make the controsoil useless?  I just cant believe I spent 100 dollars on substrate!

You dont need 40 lbs of Controsoil for a 20g. But on the plus side you have substrate for another tank! I use about half to just over half a bag for a 10 and just under a bag for a 20L. That gives you a substrate depth of about 4-8cm.

Is it not funny, that we are thrifty when it comes to tanks but spent so much money for other things like substrates, equipment and shrimps?

Agree with RyeGuy, one bag is enough for a 20G tank. I just set up two 20G tanks to compare Amazonia and Fluval Stratum soils. Will report on the outcome in a journal.

Forward thinking, now you have plenty for the next tank or a rescape or 3. Alternatively, squirrel it away and wait for the next dry spell and make bank selling it then. =)

To answer your question I think the majority of us have used only Controsoil on its own. I don't see why you couldn't use an inert gravel under the Controsoil if your attempting to save money/substrate. Only downside is your cutting your buffering capacity in half. You may be exhausting your Controsoil quicker this way.