What happened to controsoil

FYI, if needed I have a few bags in stock. Shipping is crazy expensive.. Anyone in the area, please swing over, or I am looking into USPS flat rate shipping for 12.00

http://rivergardennursery.com/freshwater-shrimp-food-and-dry-goods/

Thanks and enjoy

- Scott

Your not kidding. Wanted to get two 20lbs bag and shipping was $83 :startle:  I think one bag would fit in large flat rate box, would pay for two flat rates but not $83

Your not kidding. Wanted to get two 20lbs bag and shipping was $83 :startle:  I think one bag would fit in large flat rate box, would pay for two flat rates but not $83

Correct, I can do flat rate, they are 12.00 each for shipping. The silly calculator for the website will not let me do flats rate, or add things together. Let me know if you are interested, and I can send you something separate.

Also just an FYI, I have sent an email to them as well. Might just be something wrong with the website? I will let you know what I hear. I just received a big order last week, so I hope it is just a glitch. I really like the soil, and for me, it is a lot easier to get a hold of then ADA. Although I use and carry the ADA soil, the Amazon is just hard to get regular stock supply.

I think I remember seeing a post by shrimpy daddy about people who were having issues with controsoil a while back.

Can't find the thread but I could be wrong.

Most people say controsoil or ada buffers water to the "proper" pH. As such, most people, especially new shrimpers, would just buy the substrate, use it, put RO water, cycle and done.

I had controsoil as my 1st soil for CRS. Guess what? Deaths after death. Since I was new, I replied on API pH test. Giving me wrong and inaccurate readings.

After I got a pH probe, guess what??? pH was at 5.0-5.3

It was a good 2-3 months before I got the pH probe and there is why my shrimp was dying,

pH was extremely low. The same stock is now in a tank at 5.8 pH and no more deaths. Same soil but used baking soda to weaken the buffer ability. Once buffer ability was weak, do water change to remove KH.

I got ADA a few months back and pH was fine, 5.6 pH or so. Added a plant that required putting it into substrate. pH is now 5.0-5.3