Nadia's Notes

Soothing Shrimp

Those folks who don't want to hear don't have to read, right? I think this forum is pretty good about realizing that some threads will interest us while others may not, but they are all good! And of course you do have your followers who wait to hear.

Nadia did her Excalibur meet today.

Her scores are as follows:

Vault 8.9

Bars 9.55

Beam 9.3

Floor 8.85

AA 36.6

Floor went down a little, but she met/broke all her other season bests.  She wound up 3rd on beam, 4th on bars, and 6th on floor and vault.  :D :D :D

All in all she received 5 medals today. 

We have until the 1st weekend of Feb to practice for the next meet.  Who knows how tough the judges will score there?  For now, we're happy with today. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Had a meet yesterday.  Ugh.  What chaos.  We left around 6pm Fri to get to the hotel because the meet was Sat morning.  We arrived, but didn't realize we booked a Motel.  I'm not super fond of motels,as hotel are generally the same price and a little cleaner and better upkept.

Anyway, got there about 10pm with the 1 hour time change due to location.  Ordered a pizza, and shortly after eating, I started emptying the contents of my tummy.  What I thought was just too greasy pizza, wound up to be a short lived flu bug.  :sick:

My wife had to do Nadia's hair bun for the meet.  It's usually me.  We do the bun the night before so the wet hair has time to dry.  She finished at 1am, I was up and down all night due to both ends emptying on me.  We woke at 6am (5am my time), which meant she had little sleep, and I had about 1.5 hrs sleep total.

We checked out, headed to the gym where this was taking place- and lo and behold a train was dead on the tracks.  After some guessing at turns to go around the train, and a whole lot of me cussing in the car, we arrived at the place just in time.  I dropped off my wife and daughter, and my older son and I found a place to park waaaaay away because all parking spaces were taken.

Thankfully, one of the moms of our team rushed Nadia back, while my son and I walked in.

So, it started out nice.  The athletes mixed up with each other and did the run around the arena, and then separated into their teams for their march.  The sport began.

I frequently had to close my eyes for a few moments because the over sensory information made my head spin, and I was nauseous, but I wasn't missing my daughter's meet. heh

She lined up for beam with her team, and we waited while two other teams took their turns.  Once of the coaches flagged us down.  My 7 yr old Nadia had to go to the bathroom.  Turns out, she had not gone at the motel and I was in no shape to argue with her.  So now, my wife took her.  She made it back on time before the team started. *Whew.*

Nadia was last on the beam because she had the highest score on the beam from our team last meet.  She mounted and did her first skill.  It was looking good.  It was at that time her coach said something that Nadia didn't quite hear, so she turned her head and said "What?"  Instant sudden gust of gravity.  She fell off the beam. Ugh.  She mounted quickly, but she was so shaken, she was checking herself constantly until dismount.  Worst score this season for her.

She got through floor next, and got over both times on vault.  Bars gave me a heart attack since she almost went over the lower bar on dismount... but she managed to go under instead. *whew*

All in all, not Nadia's best meet, but we all have an off day now and then.  It didn't help that the judges were much harder this time.  But, that's the way the ball bounces.  Some more lenient, some harder.

Scores:

Beam 8.4

Bars 8.65

Beam 7.6

Floor 8.4

AA 33.05

No medals for her this meet, however I asked her if she had fun.  She said, "Yes."  And that's what it's all about.  :angel:

• 3 weeks later...

So still a looong day ahead of me at the meet right now.

Nadia had a meet last weekend too. Not bad, but not great. She was doing very well on floor. Looked to be a 9+, but suddenly she blanked in the middle of her routine. She recovered after about a 10 sec deer in the headlight look, but not before the damage was done.

Here's her scores from last weekend:

Pretty cool.  I never thought I'd see one of my kids at such large meets, but she loves competing. :)

The last meet for this year is next weekend, and it is state.  It is so big, there's two gyms and it lasts over several days.  In fact, Nadia doesn't even get to compete with a majority of her teammates.  To make it more organized, they had to break it into what week your birthday fell on, as to what time session you compete.

Not sure how the awards work.  It'd suck to be a person competing in the early AM, only to have to wait for awards in the late pm.  Perhaps they'll award after each session?  We'll see...