Wygglz

So I think I have the courage now to get a journal underway. Forgive my redundancy, but the history of this setup is always where things start in my head so here goes. I do things in baby steps and build on small successes. Gill however, jumps in with both feet and lives by the motto "go bold or go home." So when I wanted a 10 gallon shrimp tank, he did some research and decided that 220 gallons would be much more stable, therefore better, and started building. Now we have 8 20 longs for animals with a 20 long sump, another 20 long heater tank, and another 20 long planted refugium. And no, I'd never had shrimp before so it has all been one huge learning curve.

Well, we've so far had struggles with hydra, bacterial infections, pond snails (still workin on those), and traveling babies (they were getting through the sponge filters and turning up everywhere). At this point everything has looked good for about a month now except for some tiny planaria showing up.

Here we go... at the start.

post-2335-0-00088400-1446515103_thumb.jp

Not only am I not good at taking photos, but I'm also not good at manipulating them (posting them and such).

So tank 1 right now has Dwarf Blue Crays in it which are doing fantastic but will be moving out into another tank that isn't in this setup. Soothing started me out with those with 4 healthy juvies and all the info I needed. Now I have no idea how many I have but I will start sharing those soon. Once they are all moved, that tank, with a pool sand bottom will be for Nessies. Perhaps instead of being Tank 1 it should be Soothing's Tank ;)

Beautiful blue phase

post-2335-0-83173600-1446516429_thumb.jp

Equally beautiful (I think) brown phase

post-2335-0-49422900-1446516515_thumb.jp

Tank 2 has OEBTs that have just begun breeding. These I believe will be replaced by either Royal Blue Tigers or Aura Tigers over the winter. These came from rostick on this forum and another source on Aquabid.Thanks to rostick for his hardy stock!

post-2335-0-31225200-1446516741_thumb.jp

Tank 3 has Red Tigers who were breeding in secret as I moved them from another tank and knew I had to move 9 but was counting 11, 12, 13. Oops! Better keep a closer eye. They have new babies in their tank and I believe 3 females hatched their eggs while we were gone.

Tank 4 has Blue Dream Neos from Blue Crown. They started off just a bit slow but are doing wonderfully now with all sizes in the tank.

Tank 5 has Neon Yellows (all with the stripe down the back) and these beautiful little drops of sunshine came from rostick and Blue Crown. Three are currently berried and at least one is saddled (yay!). And I would be remiss if I didn't mention little Bubba, the elusive juvie who appears when I'm too tired to scoop him out and put him with the rest of his Red Tiger family in tank 3.

Tank 6 has Bloody Marys that took a hit from the hydra and/or bacterial infection but still has all sizes and both saddled and berried females so I believe they will come back strong again. They were the first group to go into this setup and came from a great Aquabid supplieŕ.

Tank 7 has Tangerine Tiger males who are beautiful, but had to leave tank 8 so the girls (in tank 8) could be bred by the red striped Tangerine Tiger affectionately known as P1. With all the losses we had during the infection stage it is a miracle he survived. One of the girls is currently berried by him and the shrimplets are due around Nov 21. The other girl was carrying 2 eggs when we left and they should have hatched while we were gone but I haven't seen babies yet. Oh, and for those interested, these beauties came from rostick on this forum as well.

Are those drilled and plumbed together with PVC or something like that? Amazing to see.

They are. I would love to say that I did that, but it was my other half (Gillznglass). He plumbed it all, wired it all, everything.

• 3 weeks later...

So life gets in the way sometimes, but I wanted to post an update on tank 1, which was Dims but is now Nessies (Thank you, Soothing) and Royal Blue Tigers (Thank you, Lex). 

post-2335-0-67020800-1448235580_thumb.jp

So here is one of the clearer pics of a Nessie (still not a photographer, sorry).

post-2335-0-36587200-1448235747_thumb.jp

And a Royal Blue Tiger

post-2335-0-32487600-1448235848_thumb.jp

Everyone seems to be happy and healthy in their new home and we are loving having them in our Aqua-family!

And Tank 8, the Tangerine Tigers. 

post-2335-0-55545600-1448236351_thumb.jp

P1 is still a happy boy with his two girls Penelope and Polly (okay, so not a great photographer and not original with names!).  Anyway, Polly is being stubborn and hasn't saddled yet.

This is P1

post-2335-0-84611300-1448236521_thumb.jp

Here is Polly

post-2335-0-90628600-1448236254_thumb.jp

Penelope has been camera shy lately but I can't be too angry since she has been busy.  On 10/23 she was berried and on 11/20 she wasn't, but she was saddled again.  Well, on 10/21 I saw two micro babies on the back of the tank (no way to get a pic you can see with my phone).  On 10/22 she was berried again (yay) and with P1 being the only male, I'm pretty excited.

Congrats!  I love how when you click on the Nessie pic it blows up so you can see the dots of color!

And I love the red lined tangerine!!!  I want to buy some when you have some ready!

Thank you. I'm so excited by the Nessies, they are absolutely beautiful.

And as for the red striped tangerines, you know I'd be thrilled to be able to sell them to you!

Thank you Kaydoubleyou. I'm the most active on the forum between the two of us, but I have to admit, my part is feeding and selective breeding. He did the setup and monitors water quality. I get the fun/easy parts like picking pretty shrimp, picking pretty crystals and plants, etc. The Nessies and Royal Blue Tigers have Amethyst for their rock and the Tangerine Tigers have sliced agate. I don't think I could ever manage to keep shrimp if it was just me and I admire all the folks in this group who do it.

That's pretty cool! I've had to learn allot of more "male oriented" things like buying pvc and making stuff since starting this hobby lol. I was never comfortable in hardware stores but now its a weekly occurrence. Hubby helps out but really isn't interested. I never heard of or even thought about crystals! Any specific benefits to keeping them with crystals or is it strictly aesthetic?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

It is strictly aesthetic. I came home from the middle east with some gorgeous formations and when we started doing tanks I put some of the clear quartz I had on black sand with a stunning effect. No need to dust them when they are displayed this way. Like everything, it grew from there using amethyst, celestite, rose quartz, black quartz, petrified wood, agate, and citrine depending on the look we are going for. Our local rock shop owner loves seeing me walk through the door now. ;)

Its always like that! Sounds beautiful, I too have an extensive crystal collecting collecting dust. You have inspired me to try this out! Thank you :) would love to see pictures as well. Maybe see it in real life once i get a passport lol :)

Its always like that! Sounds beautiful, I too have an extensive crystal collecting collecting dust. You have inspired me to try this out! Thank you :) would love to see pictures as well. Maybe see it in real life once i get a passport lol :)

You are welcome anytime :) Oh, and if your crystals get algaefied you can safely bleach them so no worries there.

Just wanted to post some crystal shots.  Hopefully you'll get an idea even with my photography.

This was a tank for my office just to give the kids something interesting to check out and to help them learn to appreciate nature and animals.

post-2335-0-57285700-1448830728_thumb.jp

Here is one of the inhabitants of that tank on one of the crystals.

post-2335-0-51026300-1448830821_thumb.jp

this is the seasonal tank for my betta with some black quartz and agate slice

post-2335-0-38884300-1448831200_thumb.jp

Buried agate slice

post-2335-0-12624200-1448831434_thumb.jp

Will be playing in the tanks today and will try to get some more crystal pics.

Agate slice - just make certain they aren't dyed if you are using them for a tank.

post-2335-0-74468100-1448838474_thumb.jp

Geode - this one we cut.  The outside decayed a bit in the tank but didn't bother anything

post-2335-0-92930400-1448838554_thumb.jp

This is a piece of greyish amethyst in the Nessie tank.  I think it looks much better in this setting than better purple ones.

post-2335-0-21998900-1448838631_thumb.jp

See... this "better" quartz almost looks like plastic though it might work better on a different substrate

post-2335-0-41567500-1448838937_thumb.jp

And these are waiting to be used as we do new tanks or make changes.

This is black quartz which is supposed to go in a gold sand based shrimp tank this winter.

post-2335-0-38107900-1448839181_thumb.jp

Celestite for a tank with angel fish for the bedroom once we remodel to fit the tank (this winter?)

post-2335-0-61859500-1448839239_thumb.jppost-2335-0-20411800-1448839284_thumb.jp

Petrified wood waiting for tanks

post-2335-0-04044600-1448839370_thumb.jppost-2335-0-01973800-1448839421_thumb.jp

Quartz waiting for tanks

post-2335-0-04685900-1448839488_thumb.jp