Twinstar Shrimp 50

DETAquarium

Hey Shrimpspot!

I just finished up a product review/testing on the Twinstar Shrimp 50 version. Please take the time to watch the video, I may not have all the answers to your questions, but I can certainly share with you my thoughts and opinions. The results honestly surprised me!

Thank you,

DETAquarium

Been looking at this and doing some research and there is one thing I dont understand about the product. Why do they have three models?

One is for algae control, another is for disease prevention for fish and the third is disease prevention for shrimp. Unless Im missing something its all the same. From watching videos of all the models they create the same mist and not one website explains why each model is different. The description for each will say its for this or for that but no explanation why one model only does algae control not disease control. Why is the shrimp model good for disease control of shrimps but not for fish but they have one just for fish?  Why doesn't the algae model control disease and the disease model control algae when it does the same thing, creating microbubbles?  Is this a marketing ploy to sell more product by making you think you need several to do multiple jobs? Or am I missing something??  Other than creating tiny bubbles what does each model do that is different from the other? If you want to control algae and prevent disease do you have to have multiple units working at the same time????  Me thinks its all the same.

Been looking at this and doing some research and there is one thing I dont understand about the product. Why do they have three models?

One is for algae control, another is for disease prevention for fish and the third is disease prevention for shrimp. Unless Im missing something its all the same. From watching videos of all the models they create the same mist and not one website explains why each model is different. The description for each will say its for this or for that but no explanation why one model only does algae control not disease control. Why is the shrimp model good for disease control of shrimps but not for fish but they have one just for fish?  Why doesn't the algae model control disease and the disease model control algae when it does the same thing, creating microbubbles?  Is this a marketing ploy to sell more product by making you think you need several to do multiple jobs? Or am I missing something??  Other than creating tiny bubbles what does each model do that is different from the other? If you want to control algae and prevent disease do you have to have multiple units working at the same time????  Me thinks its all the same.

This product has been around for many years.  You have go to plantedtank.net and see conversations dating back years.  Some people swear that it helps with algae, others think its more aquarium snake oil.  Reguardless of how you feel it's a very expensive piece of equipment.  On thier website they suggest you swap out the disks every 6 months and they cost a pretty penny.

As for the different models.... that's just marketing.  Why do sneaker companies have multiple different lines that do pretty much the same exact thing?  By stating that different models do different things they can cater to all the different fears in the aquarium hobby thus allowing them to sell the same product to more people who are looking to accomplish different things with the product.

http://twinstar-europe.com/en/

If you read the "THE BEST AQUASCAPER" part, Twinstar is an alternative to UV lamps.

Been on that website. like I said it doesnt explain anything, it just tells you what it does.  Does the disk or the unit or combination of both on a specific model preform differently from the other? All the website says is this model is for this and this model is for that. If I buy the shrimp model will it control algae and if it doesnt why?    Is this just a real expensive air pump? Does the unit pump air into the disk or does the unit sends some kind electrical current into the disk and that makes the bubbles?

If you look at the nano+, yotta+ and shrimp, all three uses the same M9 reactor. The nano, yotta and shrimp 50 uses M7 reactor. I think each model reactor are for different volumes of water and do the same job.  Maybe Im just making this a bigger than it is.

I wish I knew all the answers to your questions, but unfortunately I don't. That is why a product review was difficult, as I researched on the product and you get very little explanation on the HOW or WHY it does what it does. SO, in all my skepticism I put the unit to the test. As all of my aquariums are very similar, I tested the two newer setups. One being my BB Tank and the other my Red TB tank. They have all the same hardware, water parameters, and have been setup the same number of days, maybe even hours. In my video I don't get into the nitty gritty of how the unit operates as there isn't a definitive answer, as the translation to english doesn't help either. The best way for me to showcase the piece of equipment was just simply test it. Both aquariums did not have algae, both aquariums had the same water parameters, BUT the Blue Bolt tank did have about 3-4 batches of shrimplets more than my Red TB tank. Coincidence possibly, but I tested and that was my results.

Hope this helps a bit. Thanks to everyone that took the time to watch the video and put your input in.

If I understand correctly this is just a water electrolysis device.  I am not a chemist so I am sure there are other people on the forms that could describe it better.  Basically, electricity is passed through positive and negative electrodes in order to split the water 2H2O in hydrogen and oxygen.

Some of the uses that I found for this tech is to create hydrogen gas for fuel and the International Space station uses it to create some of their oxygen.  As far as aquariums go I can’t tell you how beneficial it could be.  Some people on the forums were saying that it acts as some sort of a killer for microorganisms.

I found this article which as some interesting graphs - http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/bit.260230814/pdf.

Does algae count as microorganisms?  Also, the graph stated that the electrolysis changed the pH making the water inhabitable for microorganisms.  This leads me to believe that the small amount of electrolysis that the twinstar is creating probably is not enough to create a large fluctuation in pH and therefore would have little effect on much of anything.

Looks like another aquarium product that has little to no science behind it.  It looks cool and the effect for sure makes it look like it is doing something but I think that the amount of electrolysis that is necessary to have a big effect on anything would also kill just about any living thing in the water.

I wish I knew all the answers to your questions, but unfortunately I don't. That is why a product review was difficult, as I researched on the product and you get very little explanation on the HOW or WHY it does what it does. SO, in all my skepticism I put the unit to the test. As all of my aquariums are very similar, I tested the two newer setups. One being my BB Tank and the other my Red TB tank. They have all the same hardware, water parameters, and have been setup the same number of days, maybe even hours. In my video I don't get into the nitty gritty of how the unit operates as there isn't a definitive answer, as the translation to english doesn't help either. The best way for me to showcase the piece of equipment was just simply test it. Both aquariums did not have algae, both aquariums had the same water parameters, BUT the Blue Bolt tank did have about 3-4 batches of shrimplets more than my Red TB tank. Coincidence possibly, but I tested and that was my results.

Hope this helps a bit. Thanks to everyone that took the time to watch the video and put your input in.

How long will the disk last?

I have only used it for about 3 months now and it still doesn't have any buildup, looks clean to me still.

It depends on the water.  Unfortunately with electrolysis devices eventually they will develop calcium buildup.  The calcium buildup will eventually hinder the devices ability to do anything.  The company advertises something betweek 6-12 months.

Can you soak it vinegar?