Anyone do coral?

Soothing Shrimp

I have a saltwater tank at the moment. Sadly I will probably e tearing it down by the end of the month. Will be moving a few cities away middle of this year and I figure it's better to do it now so I can save for the move haha.

To be honest I feel like "hardcore" shrimping is like the precursor to saltwater. It wasn't that difficult for me besides all the cool stuff I want haha. You definitely need to keep in mind more things but as long as you keep up on dosing or week/biweekly water changes it isn't too difficult. Then you stupidly accept a donation fish that gives gives ich to the rest of your fish killing them and the donation.... But the one sob damsel lives. WWHYYYYY.

Here's a few shots of my tank and its inhabitants.

499154888e13e4d91974c9b985e8e7af.jpg

3ea4ffe7b702bbacacc167d2b80a247c.jpg

1a82873b9983185d83cd22013745c913.jpg

My favorite and most recent addition

adce3a228639969f04de5e173d7a36fa.jpg

-Duffy

Nice and the Sri Lanka  stars are not easy but not sure how well it will do with that Harlequin shrimp , lol.

I guess its food for it .

I had harlequins decades ago used to feed the sand stars I picked up by piers .

You could always set up another tank in the future .

Nice topic. I used to do reef tanks about 18 years ago. I think I might do one again. I love the newer designer clown fish and would love to have a tank with some of them and some hint for them to swim and play in

Once you have salt you usually wind up doing it again and now lighting and skimmers so much better .

When I had salt it was strictly Under gravel filter than canister filters became the rage followed by wet/dry filters .

I did my FOWLER set up with just live rock on the 55 gallon UG filter plate , no substrate and all 4 filter tubes going with a strong Whisper air pump ..  I actually relied on water changes which I did at 20 percent every week using a combo of beach water and the only salt available at the time which was Instant Ocean .

The diversity of life and colors cant be beat , esp now .

Nice and the Sri Lanka stars are not easy but not sure how well it will do with that Harlequin shrimp , lol.

I guess its food for it .

I had harlequins decades ago used to feed the sand stars I picked up by piers .

You could always set up another tank in the future .

Yeah the star was for food. It's actually gone now. I went about it wrong and my tank hasn't fully recovered from it. They rot fast. Cool star though haha. I have been using chocolate chip starfish for the harlequin lately

-Duffy

Yeah the star was for food. It's actually gone now. I went about it wrong and my tank hasn't fully recovered from it. They rot fast. Cool star though haha. I have been using chocolate chip starfish for the harlequin lately

-Duffy

Harlequins are beautiful but a pain as far as starfish food and they kill and leave the starfish to rot other than the feet which they eat .

I had 2 common Florida Cucumbers and they also killed them .   In theory they don't but mine did and ate their feet .

They have been in the market for 40 years but since such a pain , few keep them.

yeah the zoas got me turned on to start a reef tank.  i started a 3 gal a few months ago.  so far it's been fun...about as challenging as when i started shrimpin....so much to learn and keep up with, and even more expensive.  i'll try and get some pics of the few things i have tonight.

Looking forward to seeing them. :)

Researching today, I found shipping frags is like shipping shrimp, only without the moss. Awesome!

I guess many sellers will only ship the frags and you have to mount them yourself.  Otherwise, if mounted- they make break during travel.

Looking forward to seeing them. :)

Researching today, I found shipping frags is like shipping shrimp, only without the moss. Awesome!

I guess many sellers will only ship the frags and you have to mount them yourself.  Otherwise, if mounted- they make break during travel.

from what i have seen they always come on a little plug that you can remove or leave them on it...i have left mine on so far because i am afraid to hurt them...

Shrimpo, would you explain the parts to this please?

attachicon.gifshrimpo nanoreef.jpg

At the right side is a float valve connected to freshwater to compensate for evaporation, the black circle at the bottom is a heater, the left side is showing the return pump, it pumps the water up through the small diameter hose, the bigger diameter hose is the return from the display tank (overflow) . as you can see from the picture I inserted the small hose inside the return hose to reduce clutter.

Also, if you want more eye candy AquaSD has some great coral in their sales. Not much to look at on their site, but go to Reef2Reef and check them out in the sponsors section.

They have a weekly frag/colony sale that has different coral every week. They usually have 500+ every sale so it's great for pictures/gawking haha. Not quite sure about their coral naming but the owner Will is a nice guy

I'd link the page but I hate doing it on mobile.

-Duffy

Some beautiful corals.  How do you acclimate them?

Do you have to do some type of dip to avoid critters that hitch?

same as shrimp for the most part.  what i have been doing is hanging the bag in the tank for 15 min, then drip acclimate for an hour or so. 

I haven't been too worried about hitch hikers since the live rock was direct from the ocean...it already came with them....so there are a couple pest stars in there, but i havent seen them do anything damaging yet...plus they are tiny and kind of cool.

I agree what Rodan said about acclimation. Temp then drip is probably best.

The dips are up to you. Depends mostly on your supplier and your trust with them honestly. There are also several kinds of dips for different things.

-Duffy