Anyone do coral?

Soothing Shrimp

Does anyone here own any corals at the moment?

If so, what ones?

green star polyps ( regular and branching variety), radioactive dragon eye Zoas, finger leather coral, acan, candy cane coral, torch coral, frogspawn, and some other type of zoa I don't know. I also have a bubble tip anemone but that isn't a coral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started with frags about 5 months back and quickly got into it. It's very slow, so when I say these are some of the faster growths I've observed, remember that the doubling time is still about 3 months. However, you'll be able to see growth with pretty much most frags; because of their size any new growth makes them look proportionally much larger. I started (from fastest to slowest growth) with star polyps (Packyclavularia sp.), zoanthids, pulsing Xenia, and a green mushroom polyp. A friend of mine gave me a tiny frag of what he called a "birdsnest" which grows pretty fast, but the frag is so tiny it's hard to compare. My main advice I learned from starting out would be to get a Ca/Mg/Alk/pH test kit and keep up with your water quality or you'll never get any growth!

birdsnest is a sps and needs alot of calcium if I remember right.

Good to know. Like I said, a friend just brought a tiny piece that he broke off the mother, about .5 cm. Here it is:

679e5fb8d18283a7122319464bb395c1.jpg

It's doing surprisingly well for the size of the tank/lightning/flow.

I don't know why I forgot about the Monopora. Also a great one. Had some trouble starting out, but found the right parameters and it started growing. Here's what my nano reef tank looks like as of today:

965b674fb45a1749b3b27841f0cfdb0e.jpg

The pink monopora is in the front next to a failed green sps of some kind. The little green and purple chalice on the left does well. All of the star polyps and zoas are closed right now because I just added that tall blue frag in the top back right (which I have yet to identify. Anyone know?) I'll post some more pictures of recommendations when they're open again. Another plus: most of these frags are around $10.

How big is your tank, Mr F, and how often/% do you do wc?  Temperature?

It's a "10g", but more like 8g with a built-in overflow filter/sump in the back and I have a rather large protein skimmer hanging on the back of the tank. Wc are 10% every 2 weeks. Temp is 76°. I also test Ca, Mg, and KH once a week and use SeaChem Reef Complete, Carbonate, and Plus when needed. 

Will post more pics tomorrow once everything is awake again.

Good to know. Like I said, a friend just brought a tiny piece that he broke off the mother, about .5 cm. Here it is:

679e5fb8d18283a7122319464bb395c1.jpg

It's doing surprisingly well for the size of the tank/lightning/flow.

I don't know why I forgot about the Monopora. Also a great one. Had some trouble starting out, but found the right parameters and it started growing. Here's what my nano reef tank looks like as of today:

965b674fb45a1749b3b27841f0cfdb0e.jpg

The pink monopora is in the front next to a failed green sps of some kind. The little green and purple chalice on the left does well. All of the star polyps and zoas are closed right now because I just added that tall blue frag in the top back right (which I have yet to identify. Anyone know?) I'll post some more pictures of recommendations when they're open again. Another plus: most of these frags are around $10.

Beautiful star. What type is it ?

Beautiful star. What type is it ?

The star you see is a red Linkia. I got a sweet shot of it a while back.

bb6db05c05cbd2feb43503cbaa35206a.jpg

There also a small brittle star in there. They're fun to watch cruise around.

Some of the zoanthids. Really easy, undemanding. There are also a ton of colors available. There's a closed purple coral in the middle that's a different button-like polyp but with longer stalks... Not doing as well... And below there's a pulsing Xenia. It seems to fluctuate in happiness... I've been told it prefers dirty water?

96b84132840419c32d6394b0aef45303.jpg

Green star polyp. Another very easy, undemanding coral. Prefers a little flow and low light. Brittle star feeding and sea cucumber making an appearance..

53dba7c557ae471c87a2b45977e00c34.jpg

Cherry blastomussa. This one's kinda new but seems to be doing well. Moderate light and flow. If you look closely you can see it's little mouth is open in the middle.

7f0c4a913a6b2a7fffc4cd3dfa8c2160.jpg

I believe this is some kind of Cynarina...also pretty easy. Similar to the blasto. You can also see it feeding in this one.

ca0e7b26ab340d34974b13c123b068ee.jpg

Edit:

Here are a couple more I have.

Another Cynarina (I think), light blue this time, with a long stalk. Really great to look at but slow growing. I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner who wants to see a lot of progress, but it is relatively inexpensive (~$10).

e0a7fc6cfaf7ed8492316210a823ce21.jpg

This is a pastel ricordea mushroom. It's a beautiful squishy and seems to be growing really fast! Pretty undemanding although it attempted to pull itself off of its plug and ended up hanging from the side of the rock stretched out for a few hours. Found it and righted it. Now it's exploding. The entire bottom edge of polyps is new growth and it has only been on the rock for about 3 weeks. Great coral. Highly recommend.

afb7416a6e3f126a6016d59864f2bc18.jpg

This is a multi colored platygyra. A little tougher than zoas, but you'll see the growth on them.

c77e336bcaff4b1091555a7a5f086286.jpg

Last but not least, montipora capricornus. A great beginner coral. This one started as a little dot in the center of the plug and now it's growing off the edges. Moderately undemanding.

a0007aaf2cac9feb85537f66e981c3a5.jpg

I guess my final advice is this:

With a pico or nano reef set up, it's very difficult to establish a cycled aquarium; In the early stages I lost a Firefish, a Catalina goby (a gorgeous fish, pictured, left), a blue neon goby (picured, right), and a bicolor blenny all to ich! Here's an old pic:

5e07b423ade5760b506a46aac7c6c66e.jpg

Becareful before adding fish if you're running a setup without a true sump, as it is very hard to get beneficial bacteria well enough established to start breaking down those nasty pathogens we end up seeing once it's too late. Until now I've just only been able to sustain a single yellow clown goby for about a month.

9261b2e53e5c305dccbf798f7e1c29eb.jpg

This tank is almost 4 months old now. So guess my point is you wanna be careful with cycling, wait to get fish, and treat your corals by bubbling them in coral cleaner before you put them in! I use Revive Coral Cleaner by Two Little Fishies, the stuff is great. Lastly, Start with inverts. There are so many cool ones out there you won't mind waiting for fish. I currently have 2 Mexican turbo snails, and Babylon snail, 5 small black cleaner snails not sure of the name, an anemone/pompom crab (so cool), an Emerald crab, an arrow crab, a peppermint shrimp, a brittle star, the Linkia star, a yellow cucumber, a few clams, 4 scarlet hermits, and 2 blue neon stripe hermits. I'm probably leaving some out but the point is that all of mine are doing great and I have not lost any... with the exception of a lettuce nudibranch that found itself inside the power head and a Mexican turbo snail that lost its shell to a red leg hermit... But I guess Darwinism still applies, even in a nano reef.

The star you see is a red Linkia. I got a sweet shot of it a while back.

bb6db05c05cbd2feb43503cbaa35206a.jpg

There also a small brittle star in there. They're fun to watch cruise around.

Stunning star I never saw red linkia that red in fact most rather faded .

Stars in their own right are great inverts . 

Stunning star I never saw red linkia that red in fact most rather faded .

Stars in their own right are great inverts .

It really is a beauty. Very active. And if I remember correctly it was $8!

is your brittle a true brittle or a serpent star?

It was sold to me as a brittle, but honestly I can't say I know the difference. I'll ask my marine biologist friends and see if they can identify it.

Edit: It is Ophiure protoreaster, the fancy banded brittle star. Luckily my marine biologist friends are also my neighbors. :]

It really is a beauty. Very active. And if I remember correctly it was $8!

$8 for a star that goes over  $20 and that pretty is a deal .

I would consider getting another in the hopes of babies . 

$8 for a star that goes over $20 and that pretty is a deal .

I would consider getting another in the hopes of babies .

Hmm, not a bad idea...