Anyone do coral?

Soothing Shrimp

Learn me! Learn me! [emoji56]

Haha. First of all I know jack about the dips hehhe. I know a few but can't remember what each one is for. I'll ask a buddy of mine and report back. One thing I've read that has been a big help is this.

www.reefedition.com/291/

Not all of that will pertain to you since you want a frag setup, but it is a great read on the set up of a new sw tank.

-Duffy

ok so i am no pro. and i have slowly been adding stuff but this is where i'm at:

IMG_3965.jpg?format=500wIMG_3960.jpg?format=500wIMG_3961.jpg?format=500w

IMG_3962.jpg?format=500wIMG_3963.jpg?format=500w

I really want to get some brighter corals, but most of the really cool ones are crazy expensive....slow and steady i guess...

As the saying goes ''You want a nice reef tank or an estate on several acres?''  .

lol perhaps bit exaggerated but you know what I mean.

Nice inverts , any fish ?

As the saying goes ''You want a nice reef tank or an estate on several acres?''  .

lol perhaps bit exaggerated but you know what I mean.

Nice inverts , any fish ?

hahah no kidding.  there is a damselfish, 2 sexy shrimp, and a couple snails...looks like my 2 hermit crabs flew the coop and are rolling around somewhere in my house...or should i say...dead somewhere in my house

hahah no kidding.  there is a damselfish, 2 sexy shrimp, and a couple snails...looks like my 2 hermit crabs flew the coop and are rolling around somewhere in my house...or should i say...dead somewhere in my house

I might be one of the few who likes damsels , lol .

Granted the less combative types .

I had a Beau Gregory which I caught as a baby a few miles from here by a dock in the 70s .  Boy what a mean fish he turned out to be , lol . 

Lots caught tiny Domino damsels who as you know are nice looking with a black/white contrast but as bad as beau Gregory and loss all their color as adults  , lol.

We didn't know that damsels lost color or how mean , there was no internet back than .

Here is a pic of a pic of one of my 55 salt tanks from 70s perhaps early 80s .   The yellow tang lived over 10 years and it was caught in Miami though not from the area .

In fact think every fish was Miami caught .

post-74-0-91374300-1452202696_thumb.jpg

I might be one of the few who likes damsels , lol .

Granted the less combative types .

I had a Beau Gregory which I caught as a baby a few miles from here by a dock in the 70s .  Boy what a mean fish he turned out to be , lol . 

Lots caught tiny Domino damsels who as you know are nice looking with a black/white contrast but as bad as beau Gregory and loss all their color as adults  , lol.

We didn't know that damsels lost color or how mean , there was no internet back than .

I imagine you have the blue damsel ,

I like them and they hold their color unlike probably most damsels .

i honestly cant remember if it is a 3 or 4 stripe damsel.  i basically got it to use to help cycle the tank and it was cheap.  he/she is cool though..definitely fun to feed.  The guys at the lfs were like get one of these..it'll die soon but whatever...so i did...but it is kickin around no problems.  i think as far as most of us aquarium folks go...we must be OCD about having more tanks...i am slowly planning a 14gal in my mind because i am afraid of whether the 3 gallon is sustainable and i don't want flush all that living cash down the toilet....my wife will kill me though.  i shouldve stuck with shrimp hahah

Honestly you can get most high end corals on a live sale for under $50 sometimes under $30. Buy frags because a full colony of any coral will certainly make the price go up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes that's true . I was looking at ebay and very nice selection but I meant as you collect more and more specimens .

Some frags are dime tiny .  I would go crazy just looking at a few tiny frags in a tank , lol .

damsels are the hardiest fish in saltwater I think.

Clownfish are actually a type of damsel, I believe its a sub species but not exactly sure

Yes Clowns are in the Damsel family but IMO not nearly as hardy .

Hardy once tank is established but not like Damsels and the newer designer damsels are worse .

i honestly cant remember if it is a 3 or 4 stripe damsel.  i basically got it to use to help cycle the tank and it was cheap.  he/she is cool though..definitely fun to feed.  The guys at the lfs were like get one of these..it'll die soon but whatever...so i did...but it is kickin around no problems.  i think as far as most of us aquarium folks go...we must be OCD about having more tanks...i am slowly planning a 14gal in my mind because i am afraid of whether the 3 gallon is sustainable and i don't want flush all that living cash down the toilet....my wife will kill me though.  i shouldve stuck with shrimp hahah

Yes get the 14 gall you cant go wrong with more water , room.

I am looking at 20 gallon type systems or might just get a 20 long and add my own skimmer, lighting, etc .

I just don't want my wife to go off because she suffers from a form of saltwater tank PTSD from when we got married and I began my saltwater venture .

She doesn't mind fresh but has flashbacks of me mixing salt in big buckets in the kitchen or carrying buckets of salt from the beach which often spilled in the living room as I did water changes .

All these years and she hasn't forgotten , lol .

here's their website

http://www.gainesvillefish.com/

Thanks I don't blame you for just looking at their salt .  I saw the site and I LOVE cat sharks and rays .  I would love to see that .

''

Sharks/Rays

200 Gallons of Aquatropics is dedicated to Sharks and Stingrays. We carry several types of cat shark as well as horn shark. You can also find cortez rays and butterfly rays. We would love to help you plan your shark tank''

yeah, they had all kinds of stuff like that, they had freshwater rays too.

I also saw them have alot of oddball fish like elephant nose and some really neat looking pipefish

I watch that show 'Tanked' mostly for the shark and rays .

The tea cup freshwater rays are beautiful and have been around a long time as far as in the market though poor survival rate  . 

yeah, I hate how they use fake corals but some of their tanks are really cool looking.

I saw those there alot.

Some of the tanks are ridiculous with slot machines inside, etc lol .   They are so unnatural and gaudy but some are works of art with imitation piers , etc .

Yes .they use fake coral in all the tanks because their lighting is just to show/enhance colors not for corals plus some of those tanks are huge .

I read that the celebs get those tanks for FREE because the network pays for all of it .  Celebs have it made , lol.