Interesting info on Bloody Mary Shrimp

I saw that too!  Thanks for sharing it

• 1 month later...

This has been done for years though.  Look at some other forms of shrimp that have been bred so much without concern for hardiness that their immune system is shot.

I agree with Puddles though, the drive to put out shrimp before breeding true is just aggravating to say the least.

• 1 month later...

The problem is not in the breeding, its the way they are kept. Asian Neocaridina farms keep the shrimp in unfiltered ponds outside and for some reason the shrimp seem to thrive. However, these ponds are full of fungal infections and shrimp are handled poorly when picking and packing, the result is high death rate when they are added to aquariums.

The green (or sometimes yellow) fungas is actually a parasite that feeds off of algae spores, its actually harmless to shrimp. If you completely black out the aquarium for 4-5 days the parasite will starve and fall off.

That makes sense for the blackout to treat that type of parasite. Since they feed on algae spores, a blackout would kill the algae, this killing the food source for the parasite and then killing the parasite, interesting theory

But then why do they not die in transit when they come from over seas. It takes 3-5 days and then Some some times. As well I had neos I got from a not so great importer located in OH, that sat in the box for 6 days no light and boy were they infested

Clean water plays a big role also, so sat in a bag or dirty water for a few days won't help.

This is only a theory and one i have tried a few times. My quarantine tank had an algae issue so i blacked it out for a few days, to my surprise the parasite had also disappeared when i finally had a look on the tank. I have tried this a few times since and had similar results, although the length of time does seem to vary from tank to tank.

It could just be coincidence, the parasite could be dying off where it is now in clean water which it is not used to. However, the parasite only seems to die off when blacked out and in clean living conditions. The exact science behind the theory i don't know, but i do know the black out has worked for me every time i have tried it.

Importing shrimps from Asia to North America doesn't take 3 days, unless you go the EMS route.

For all the issues tagged on these Neos, I invested 3x15G tank, added about 100 freshly imported Orange Rili/Bloody Mary/Dream Blue and do not sell any of these. I want to prove the "breed true" theory. There are many hobbyists in Canada claim BM breeds true, in my experience, almost all offspring are red but due to frequent imports I can't guarantee that tank houses only BM, thus this experiment.

As an importer, I can tell you, Neocaridina gives me at least 10 times more headache than Caridina.

The dream blue do not breed true. I have had red, blacks, chocolate and blues out of them.

BM do as far as i am aware. I do not breed them but import large quantities. Many arrive berried and i have not noticed anything other than red babies in the tanks.

British Red, in my opinion, my BM have not bred true.  In your opinion, what do you consider to be Bloody Mary?

Talk about opening a can of worms!! :P

To me a bloody Mary is a red neocaridina that has been bred from Chocolate neocaridina, like the dream blue/fantasy blue. They are easy to spot as the red shade is completely different from other red neocaridina.

On others reds such as Cherry, Painted Red etc the red colouring comes from the red chromataphores. With Bloody Mary it seems they have a red cuticle instead of chromataphores.

Rostrum size has nothing to do with it!