RO UNIT RECOMMENDATIONS WANTED!

Q: When do I need to change the replacement filters?
A: Replace all filters (exclude RO membrane) per 12 months. Replace the RO membrane per 2 years.

http://www.purewaterclub.com/catalog/conditions.php?osCsid=361ff8697522bb790e155612f12c807b

Everything comes in the unit  ?

You only replace filter/s now and than  ?

The units we are talking about are called throw aways by some since its about the same price to buy new unit vs new cartridges. I find this to be the best bang for the buck because its a 4 stage unit. It can last up to a 1-2 years depending on tap//well water and how many gallons you need a month.

http://www.purewaterclub.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=95&products_id=246

We have an iSpring that we've had for almost a year now and we love it.  The cartridges aren't too bad if you buy them in a multipack (refill pack is $39); how often you change them will depend on how "bad" your water source is (this is according to iSpring).  There's only two of us, and our water goes through two filters before it enters the house, so looks like our cost will be something we can live with.

I would have liked a portable unit originally, but now that we've got this installed we use the RO a lot more than we expected because its so much better water than the tap, so I guess it worked out okay for us. 

We have an iSpring that we've had for almost a year now and we love it.  The cartridges aren't too bad if you buy them in a multipack (refill pack is $39); how often you change them will depend on how "bad" your water source is (this is according to iSpring).  There's only two of us, and our water goes through two filters before it enters the house, so looks like our cost will be something we can live with.

I would have liked a portable unit originally, but now that we've got this installed we use the RO a lot more than we expected because its so much better water than the tap, so I guess it worked out okay for us. 

$39 including the RO membrane? Wow that's a great price.

I had to go look at their website cause I couldn't tell from my receipt if it was all five filters.  Turns out it is four, not the RO membrane.  But they sell a "two year supply" pack for $90; this is four each of filters #1, 2 and 3, one RO membrane filter, and two post carbon filters.  Obviously, we have the 5-filter unit.  So with our use (just two people in the household) it looks like we will be able to get by with the recommended replacement use (or better) at $45 a year.  Looking around the web I can see that the more filters you are willing to shell out for in one sitting the lower you can get the price.

I had to go look at their website cause I couldn't tell from my receipt if it was all five filters.  Turns out it is four, not the RO membrane.  But they sell a "two year supply" pack for $90; this is four each of filters #1, 2 and 3, one RO membrane filter, and two post carbon filters.  Obviously, we have the 5-filter unit.  So with our use (just two people in the household) it looks like we will be able to get by with the recommended replacement use (or better) at $45 a year.  Looking around the web I can see that the more filters you are willing to shell out for in one sitting the lower you can get the price.

More cost up front but replacement is very reasonable

I followed the advice on this thread and went ahead and picked up the 100gpd unit. Got it in today and hooked it up.

eabde0310f1106507323c02b2c33a0b7.jpg

Off the bat system came with two leaks one on the sink adaptor, and the second one on the flow restrictor for the waste water. I zip tied the flow restrictor to the elbow joint and it keeps it leak free. However I can't do anything about the sink adaptor. I'm going to stop by lowes tomorrow to see about getting a new one.

e2a918ba56a7def8a8a967c406323642.jpg

801e78013517987c47c01748993fee7b.jpg

Besides that I ran 10 gallons through it to "break it in" and now I'm getting 0 TDS out.

05bd83903ae6de6f7d8a0d4f0edd330c.jpg

Bottom line: YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

Tap Parameters:

PH: 7.5

GH: 2

KH: 2

TDS: 53

After running through system:

PH: 6.4

GH: 0

KH: 0

TDS: 0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I followed the advice on this thread and went ahead and picked up the 100gpd unit. Got it in today and hooked it up.

eabde0310f1106507323c02b2c33a0b7.jpg

Off the bat system came with two leaks one on the sink adaptor, and the second one on the flow restrictor for the waste water. I zip tied the flow restrictor to the elbow joint and it keeps it leak free. However I can't do anything about the sink adaptor. I'm going to stop by lowes tomorrow to see about getting a new one.

e2a918ba56a7def8a8a967c406323642.jpg

801e78013517987c47c01748993fee7b.jpg

Besides that I ran 10 gallons through it to "break it in" and now I'm getting 0 TDS out.

05bd83903ae6de6f7d8a0d4f0edd330c.jpg

Bottom line: YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

Tap Parameters:

PH: 7.5

GH: 2

KH: 2

TDS: 53

After running through system:

PH: 6.4

GH: 0

KH: 0

TDS: 0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for showing your results! 

My RO is hooked up and I'm now doing water changes. I can sometimes see the celestial danios in my tank now that 15 gallons of tea colored water has been removed and replaced by RO. The amano shrimp went a little crazy when I began adding the RO water. At least 3 of the 4 are alive (hard to spot so hard to tell normally) but 3 were swimming around in a group when the first few gallons of RO went in.. Or it was the canister output being above the water line and stirring things up that made them real active.

Hopefully the algae will begin to grow again and the plants at the bottom will be happier.

Did you siphon in new water via air tubing?

Nope. Since you asked the question I'm guessing I should have done that. Luckily I have something like 30' of air tubing.

Looks like so far it is the splashing from the canister feeding back into the tank above the water line that makes the shrimp crazy, as the amanos start swimming around when the water level goes down. I do not have delicate shrimp in the tank yet.

I also question my TDS pen as I was 138 PPM before beginning to swap out water for 5PPM RO and the check after 15 gal was 194PPM, dumping in water stirred things up so maybe that is the jump. So I have to remember to get an API GH test kit (or is there a better one?). TDS is 107 in the 55, 500 in the murky 10 (Betta babies), and one hundred something in 3 other Betta tanks, I haven't tested the 15 with the one ghost shrimp and all the little white things in it. Just sticking the TDS pen in tap water it wanders between 42 and 152 TDS so maybe a bad pen? If my tap is 42 then buying RO system may have been over kill?

I assume I will want some sort of remineralizer (which one?)or just 3 parts plaster of Paris and 2 parts Epsom salts + stuff(probably not for starters, and after that, best started on a cull test tank).