DiscoBee

SL-Aqua Nature Soil is officially IN STOCK!!!!!!!!!!!

How long is the sale? I really want some but have to wait for money lol

we currently have no plans on changing the current price. 

I see, nice!

thanks!  we do our best to keep the prices down so more and more can get the best products available. when you have success we all grow the hobby together!

Bought a bag of the medium grain soil.  Not sure what i'm going to do with it yet, but it's nice to have just in case  ;) .

Got 4 bags of these. 2 for each 40B.

They released some ammonia for maybe 1-2 days but that was all.

pH started around 5.5 pH.

Increased it to 6.6 pH. 24 hours later, it dropped to about 5.8 pH.

Increased it back to 6.6 pH. 24 hours later, it dropped to 6.0 pH

Did 50% water change, added mineralizer.

4 hours later, I added shrimp to tank. So far no deaths for past few days.

Buffering ability for this substrate is very weak/short.

When I used controsoil/ada as, the buffer ability is maybe like 5x - 10x stronger/longer than SL Aqua.

Current pH is swinging between 5.8-6.0

Got 4 bags of these. 2 for each 40B.

They released some ammonia for maybe 1-2 days but that was all.

pH started around 5.5 pH.

Increased it to 6.6 pH. 24 hours later, it dropped to about 5.8 pH.

Increased it back to 6.6 pH. 24 hours later, it dropped to 6.0 pH

Did 50% water change, added mineralizer.

4 hours later, I added shrimp to tank. So far no deaths for past few days.

Buffering ability for this substrate is very weak/short.

When I used controsoil/ada as, the buffer ability is maybe like 5x - 10x stronger/longer than SL Aqua.

Current pH is swinging between 5.8-6.0

what do you mean "weak/short", its buffering right at what it should 5.8-6.0.

what do you mean "weak/short", its buffering right at what it should 5.8-6.0.

For ADA and Controsoil, when I raised pH by increasing KH, they both kept going back down to 5.3-5.5 pH even after a week of increasing to pH to 6.5+ daily.

For ADA and Controsoil, when I raised pH by increasing KH, they both kept going back down to 5.3-5.5 pH even after a week of increasing to pH to 6.5+ daily.

Its buffering right where its designed to buffer, and a slow change which we all know is safer for shrimp.   

not everybody had the same experience with controsoil youd had. I have a tank that never dropped below 6.2, and have seen many post their controsoil didnt drop below mid 6. 

why are you adding KH with buffering soil?  just making the soil work harder at buffering.

BUT pretty cool you added shrimp within days of setting up!  thats awesome for those people who dont want to wait. Not a method I'd recommend for other though.

I wanted to weaken the buffering ability because it was buffering around 5.5 pH and needed it near 6.

My RODI water pH is ranging from 4.9-5.5, usually 5.3 most of the time.

So far all the shrimps are doing great even when adding it so early. NOT recommended for those with little experience in shrimping.

On 3/1/2016 at 6:27 PM, bostoneric said:

BUT pretty cool you added shrimp within days of setting up!  thats awesome for those people who dont want to wait. Not a method I'd recommend for other though.

I have two tanks with canister, HOB and sponge running at the same time. With controsoil I will use an existing sponge for a new setup and run it next to the HMF with a few guppies. I wait for a week and test to make sure no ammonia or nitrites. Once Im sure I remove the guppies, add shrimp and run sponge next to HMF for a month.  I have never had ammonia leach from controsoil but will test out the the SL-Aqua when I set some more tanks late spring.

What I noticed with my controsoil when the tank is a new setup the PH was running around 6.2-6.4 but within a couple of months it started bufferring at 5.8-6.0. My RODI water after remineralization is around 6.4 The past few months I've been using Mosura PH Down to adjust my RO water.

My controsoil tanks PH are in the 5.8-6.0.  Are you seeing these kind of PH range with the SL soil?

On 2/3/2016 at 8:39 PM, bostoneric said:

DiscoBee is currently offering two grain sizes: medium and powder.
We are also offering a new SL-Aqua Power Cycle Combo Kit that includes Nature Soil, Magic Powder and Purify; everything one needs to get that new tank going. Check out the new combo area on our website for the Power Cycle Kit.

http://www.discobee.com/

It looks like the site is currently sold out of Fine grain. Any idea when you'll get more in? I just pulled the trigger on a 3g long bookshelf :jig:

On 11/22/2016 at 11:22 PM, ibebian said:

It looks like the site is currently sold out of Fine grain. Any idea when you'll get more in? I just pulled the trigger on a 3g long bookshelf :jig:

Cargo ship on its way from Japan with 4 more pallets! should be here mid/late December. Just in time for xmas sales!