Soothing's Gargoyle Adventure

Soothing Shrimp

Well, I've made up my mind to get prepared for Gargoyles as my first geckos.  Man, was this a long decision!  First I thought Leos, but didn't want to deal with the temperature issues or mealworms yet.

Since Gargs can be fed commercial food, and regular house temp is fine, I figure that is a good starting place for me. :)

Nice thing about gargs is that they are not as well known as other geckos, but still have exciting possibilities.  Their care is very similar to Cresteds.

Leave it to me to find a lizard that is polygenic in coloring, but that just means I'll have to work the bell curve again with selective breeding. ;)

Gargs are more filled out in the body than Cresteds, but still have the sweet calm personality.

Hopefully next week after the last meet is over, I can get started on a cage. :)

This is what I'm planning on getting for housing:

1ef05341-fddb-416f-8142-e7ef45a22861_100

Available at home depot, each Rubbermaid container with fold out window is around $17 ea. You can stack them on top of one another for an instant rack. :)

Just bought a bunch of these for the kids toy storage. Maybe i can sneak a couple of geckos in some without the wife knowing....lol

This is what I'm planning on getting for housing:

1ef05341-fddb-416f-8142-e7ef45a22861_100

Available at home depot, each Rubbermaid container with fold out window is around $17 ea. You can stack them on top of one another for an instant rack. :)

Whelp; you just solved the limiting factor of my reptile collection's growth!

I went to the hardware stores and Walmart and none had the All Access Organizers.  So, I went on Amazon and saw it on prime in Black!  So, I splurged and bought the more expensive black one.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BEUDXHW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

About $10 more than I was expecting to spend, but I think it looks a bit classier, so it was a trade off.  Still cheaper than a glass tank. heh

I bought a few more cheap parts for it, and will write a DIY with supplies links as I go along in exploring creativity. heh

I also just bought my first Gargoyle, along with Pangea food.  She's only about 11g, so has to gain some weight yet.  She won't arrive for a small while yet.

Shipping is a lot more expensive for lizards than shrimp.  $50 is roughly avg for overnight.  $35 on the low end, and $65 on the high end depending on website. :hair:

---

This is my adopted little goyle. :)

post-2-0-89502900-1457400308_thumb.jpg

They are pretty mellow. I was drawn to the pudgy body type, and that they are not as common as cresties.

I also like that I don't have to keep/breed bugs since they take a commercial diet. Just mix powder with water.

A huge plus for me is people are just now starting to selectively breed them for traits. So plenty of opportunity for creative decisions.

Yep. Cresties are neat too, but if the tail comes off, it doesn't grow back.

If a leo tail comes off, it grows back deformed.

With goyls, if the tail comes off, it grows back and physically looks as good as the original. It may not have the exact color pattern though.

Interesting. Didn't figure a goyls tail would come back since they are related to Cresties. That's cool!

The hatchling I got came without a tail. I can't complain about it though since my cat has a stub tail haha. They must be related. Just sitting there still, looking at me, judging me with their stubby tails.

-Duffy