Ultra-sorb as shrimp substrate?

Saw a breeder on a facebook group say that he uses Ultra-sorb oil absorbant from autozone as substrate.

Seemed like an interesting choice in substrate... He had gorgeous shrimp, so I guess it works, and is safe...

TCBzb3H.jpg

For $6 for 15lbs, seems like a hell of a deal...

Anyone have any experience with this, or know anything about it?

I remember some people on TPT using it for planted tanks but never thought about it for shrimp. What exactly is it made out of?

Looks like it's diatomaceous earth and natural clay.

Stole a facebook photo from them to show what it looks like:

2AbiUrD.jpg

pretty sure it's an inert substance. I've used it before to kill bedbugs.

C'mon, you can't leave us hangin' with that comment... I have visions of you throwing little brown stones at their heads! ;) How does it work to kill bedbugs?

C'mon, you can't leave us hangin' with that comment... I have visions of you throwing little brown stones at their heads! ;) How does it work to kill bedbugs?

I'm sure its the diatomaceous earth that kills the bed bugs. I use it to kill ants and spiders around the kid's play area. Its supposed to be sharp at a microscopic level and cuts up their exoskeletons.

The one I had was a food grade powder. Just sprinkle it around the area with the pests. The ditomaceous earth is very sharp and jagged at a microscopic level, so when small bugs get it on em, it cuts em up and stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

The one I had was a food grade powder. Just sprinkle it around the area with the pests. The ditomaceous earth is very sharp and jagged at a microscopic level, so when small bugs get it on em, it cuts em up and stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatal

We use D.E. in the garden as well and looks like a very fine powder.  After the sharp edges cut the exoskeleton the bugs dehydrate due to water loss.  It will kill all bugs, soft as well as hard bodied.  If it came to the surface of the gravel , it seems it could cut inverts and allow infection.  Still, I'm curious as to how it affects the water during the cycling process ?

From looking at Safety Data Sheets it is 99% D.E. and 1% silica and contains trace minerals as it is a mined product. No data on minerals but is mined from once viable Oceans eons ago.   Medium granulation vs. the fine powder used in eliminating pests. Interesting option for tanks. ,,,,Mike

I'm sure its the diatomaceous earth that kills the bed bugs. I use it to kill ants and spiders around the kid's play area. Its supposed to be sharp at a microscopic level and cuts up their exoskeletons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

The things I learn here! Thanks guys!

diatomaceous earth is one of the most interesting things on the planet, IMO.  Look at all the uses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

Freshwater diatomite can be used as a growing medium in hydroponic gardens.

It is also used as a growing medium in potted plants, particularly as bonsai soil. Bonsai enthusiasts use it as a soil additive, or pot a bonsai tree in 100% diatomaceous earth. Like perlitevermiculite, and expanded clay, it retains water and nutrients, while draining fast and freely, allowing high oxygen circulation within the growing medium.

One form of diatomaceous earth is used as a filter medium, especially for swimming pools. It has a high porosity because it is composed of microscopically small, hollow particles. Diatomaceous earth (sometimes referred to by trademarked brand names such as Celite) is used in chemistry as a filtration aid, to filter very fine particles that would otherwise pass through or clog filter paper. It is also used to filter water, particularly in the drinking water treatment process and in fish tanks, and other liquids, such as beer and wine. It can also filtersyrupssugar, and honey without removing or altering their color, taste, or nutritional properties.[7]

Jynn, you should talk your facebook buddy to joining TSS!

Haha,  I don't know the guy or anything,

I just look at a shrimp group on there every couple days :P     

omg tho.. I looked at their shrimp albums....  they had pictures of something that looked like a red eyed blue jelly.  What is that?!

rW4FjSU.jpg

I use it in my chicken coop to prevent mites.

We use D.E. in the garden as well and looks   If it came to the surface of the gravel , it seems it could cut inverts and allow infection.  Still, I'm curious as to how it affects the water during the cycling process ?like a very fine powder.  After the sharp edges cut the exoskeleton the bugs dehydrate due to water loss.  It will kill all bugs, soft as well as hard bodied.

Well, this is not the powdered form, its compressed in clay into something that looks like flourite a bit, but I kind of worried about that too, since shrimps are kinda bug-like.    

I assume it's not a problem though, as the person who posted it looks to be a pretty successful breeder.    I've got serious shrimp envy looking through his profile pics.

Hey there shrimpers! Need to clarify a small point in our discussion. The ingredient is "fuller's earth" that makes up ultrasorb. It is an inert material that is good for neos.

I use it and a similar brand known as "saf t sorb". I also use turface.

I have used them for about a year with no issues. However this is a lite weight substrate material, so it doesn't anchor plants that well.

Hey there shrimpers! Need to clarify a small point in our discussion. The ingredient is "fuller's earth" that makes up ultrasorb. It is an inert material that is good for neos.

I use it and a similar brand known as "saf t sorb". I also use turface.

I have used them for about a year with no issues. However this is a lite weight substrate material, so it doesn't anchor plants that well.

Good to know. My local AutoZone has 15lb bags for $6. Might tear down one of my problem tanks and try out.

Never mind everyone, it was ME that was mistaken! I was wrong about what I said about fillers earth being in ultrasorb.

It is Saf T Sorb that uses fullers earth.

Gonna have to go investigate some ultrasorb now!

Again, I apologize for spreading bad info....

Got in the zone at AutoZone and went looking for ultrasorb. They didn't have it but in its place had "floor dry". The ingredients were the same so was the price so i bought a bag.

8ac73dd87a3bc8c5c0d691aa64cd8c86.jpg

19afc453cb2f39fdd8a789c030ed2c85.jpg

I was hoping it would be that brownish color but this white might work well too.

Will this stuff turn mushy and muddy once its in the water?

I assume it won't because of it's intended purpose.

If it just turned to mud when it absorbed liquid it would be rather useless.