Rare Mosses from Novina

mayphly

I just ordered some new rare mosses from Novina in Poland. They should be here in about a week. Most of you who have been keeeping and breeding shrimp a while probably already know about Novina. Novina keeps an awesome collction of rare plants and has one of the coolest shrimp collections one could ever dream about having. I just purchased these mosses

1) Jungermania "Jade Lotos"

2) Fissidens Sp. "Miroshaki"

3) Fissidens Sp. "Tasikmalaya"

4) Fontinalis Antipyretica "Willow Moss" ( common moss) I don't have

5) Solenostoma Teragonum

These should arrive in about 7 days.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/World-of-Aquatic-Moss/508732719244216

https://www.facebook.com/pages/novinapl/170590049644528?sk=photos_stream

Yeah, maybe mayphly can become our resident moss expert? (wink, wink, hint, hint? ;))

I feel like if I could have labeled, real-life samples to examine I *might* pick up the differences, but I'm hopeless generalizing from the pictures I've found online (and there are some decent sites). Hard to pick out the defining characteristics from a few stills, especially when the mosses tend to look a little different depending on how they're grown, light, age, attachment, etc.

I feel like, at least for me, mosses are kinda like grasses - really hard to definitively ID unless you're willing to go the microscopic botany route with your dichotomous key in hand!

Hahha!! An expert on any plant I'll never be! I do think mosses are pretty cool though! I may be just getting in to another phase of the planted tank. Mosses do have their own unique characteristics like the way they grow (creep), the way they're shaped and the different look that each type of moss can add to an aquarium. Who wouln't want this growing in their tank?

post-89-0-73798700-1402155959_thumb.jpg

Hahha!! An expert on any plant I'll never be! I do think mosses are pretty cool though! I may be just getting in to another phase of the planted tank. Mosses do have their own unique characteristics like the way they grow (creep), the way they're shaped and the different look that each type of moss can add to an aquarium. Who wouln't want this growing in their tank?

I want that soo babd, what type is it and where can I get it.

Chris

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Sorry, I posted the wrong pic. That was a terrestrial moss. I changed the pic to some pelia. I didn't mean to mislead anyone.

Sorry, I posted the wrong pic. That was a terrestrial moss. I changed the pic to some pelia. I didn't mean to mislead anyone.

You got me all excited, I like the looks of terrestrial moss much better then aquatic moss.

I have been trying to find an aquatic moss that mimics that.

Chris

Sorry I got your hopes up. I think a close look to that would be mini pelia well trimmed. I keep a variety of terrestrial moss which grows great in my emersed tank. They just look sooo coool!

I tried mini pelia once and it did not fair well. It died that was horrible to try and clean up.

And I'm not a huge fan of how it looks either, assuming I really got mini pellia.

Chris

Hard to tell cause I can't make the pic bigger but is that
Climacium japonicum?

Hehe! You got me! I'm going with high light, cool temps,dose ferts w/ co2, and good flow. Am I right? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your partially right. He told me a strong flow and high light. But we all know tom Barr is know for beautiful aquascapes. So I would assume along with the flow and high light goes with a combo of co2 and fert schedule as well. Lol

• 1 month later...

I hope I can end up with 120 different types of mosses one day. I also follow "World of aquatic moss" on FB which also belongs to Novina. There are some great pics in that page as well.

When I get some free time I'll post up some macro shots. With all the money in spent on moss I should be in a moss anonymous group! Lol!!