Importer/Exporter

DiamondShrimp

Not sure if this is the right place to ask. If not allow please remove this thread admin. I do apologize in advances. That being said, I'm looking for some one who or know of someone who can import and export shrimplet into the US. Im looking for someone in Germany to export some shrimp to the US and someone here in the US that is willing to work with me. Send me a pm if your a importer/exporter.

10 hours ago, DiamondShrimp said:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask. If not allow please remove this thread admin. I do apologize in advances. That being said, I'm looking for some one who or know of someone who can import and export shrimplet into the US. Im looking for someone in Germany to export some shrimp to the US and someone here in the US that is willing to work with me. Send me a pm if your a importer/exporter.

Anyone can be an import/exporter.  You just need to fill out all the paper work and pay the Bribes, err. fees to all the US government agency's inspectors.  I have done this a lot with Goldfish and Koi.  It runs almost 300.00 a box for Koi and or Goldfish.  You can also use trans-shippers.  You would have to see what airport is closest that accepts international live shipments and find the trans-shipper you would like to use.  Please investigate the trans-shippers first, they are many pros and cons

my dealings with transhipper with Guppies and Bettas.. has been with:

Linda OLSON : Denver CO (720)999-1261 linda_9555@msn.com       

don't know if she does inverts.. but ask.. i guess.. 
had alot of betta/guppy come in thru her.. 
never lot one

Anyone can be an import/exporter.  You just need to fill out all the paper work and pay the Bribes, err. fees to all the US government agency's inspectors.  I have done this a lot with Goldfish and Koi.  It runs almost 300.00 a box for Koi and or Goldfish.  You can also use trans-shippers.  You would have to see what airport is closest that accepts international live shipments and find the trans-shipper you would like to use.  Please investigate the trans-shippers first, they are many pros and cons

Thanks, I'm actually looking for a transhipper instead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

in addition to what Scott mentioned, the best tip I can add is make it a large order so its worth all the fee's otherwise the price per shrimp really escalates quickly.

you may think you are getting a good deal on the base price of the shrimp, but once you add shipping, fees, etc.  it gets crazy.

if possible a group of ppl can order with you which can make it a more bearable price for each participant in the group.

just saying. I did it once with a couple of ppl.

1 person did the contacting while the rest of us made our share of the payment.

just a thought

16 hours ago, DiamondShrimp said:

Thanks, I'm actually looking for a transhipper instead.

A transhipper only works if the he/she is ordering from the supplier you want the shrimps from.  They basically consolidate all the various orders from individuals on a single shipment and divide the costs amongst the participants.  I don't think there is any shrimp specific transhippers because the good quality shrimps generally only sourced from breeders or farms who specialize in dwarf shrimps.   The cost savings comes from the volume; the minimum rate for a size box would be something like $600 from Europe or Asia in air freight charges plus any fees associated with importing.  For bettas and guppies they generally brought as singles (bettas) or pairs (guppies) so  there is many individual orders, say 100-150 bags per box, it would only say aorund $5 a bag, even if there was one box.  That is the model the smaller transhippers uses for hobbyists.  For the bigger ones, which serves the wholesale market, you generally pay per bag or box but there is a generally a set quantity of shrimps / fish per bag or bags per box.

I remember many years ago, i was talking to transhipper about bringing in shrimps for me and he quote $1 per shrimp for transhipping cost + shipping from his location to mine (~ $100). I just laughed it off because once it order 600-700 shrimps (1/2 box) it was cost me the same to do it myself.

preorder / groups orders works but you will still need to fill a box to minimize shipping costs - and the final cost is a bit of a guesstimate as it is based on filling an entire box, zero DOA's and additional fees.  Even if the supplier provide DOA credit, your shipping costs are still somewhat fixed so overall, the shipping costs per shrimp / goes up when there are DOA's

3 hours ago, DiamondShrimp said:

Ah, I see. Would a aquarist gift shipment be legal, someone mention they can ship invert as aquarist gift to the US.

Doesn't matter if it's a gift or non commercial use. The shipment still must go through the proper process and fees are heavy.