My diy tumblers..

Matt9892

Hey ?

After my misadventure with my shrimp dropping eggs and my glass bought tumbler not functioning properly I decided to make my own.

It all started with a sponge filter fitting (called a bulls eye connector) which I could not find in this country other than on sponge filters.

then I decide to see what I could use off the two uplift tubes for under gravel filtering (that we had off an old tank) after lots of cleaning.. I started working..

image.jpeg

The mk1 was a simplistic model the plastic bottom was removed from the bottom of the uplift tube.. Covered with netting and replaced.. 

Oh I will add the netting I use I bought off eBay a while ago for my mantid tanks.. It's from a shop/person called Orimiu and well is awesome have used it for various tasks over the years.. Comes in very handy..and is the finest stuff you will find ? The sponge filter fitting was used for the top with an air tube plugged into it.. Apart from having to "melt" the tubing to fit the connection in it was pretty simple.. Oh, the top also has the same mesh wrapped around the bottom with an elastic band so it can be removed if needed.

when end I started testing on some pleco eggs that the parents had decided to remove from their cave I noticed a big flaw in the design.. although the bottom fitted nicely on the tube the large size of it acted abit like a bucket.. So the eggs were hard to see and monitor..

So after a slight modification (the white bottom part was cut along the locking connector... Under over technique) the Mk2 was born..

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So so that's the basic design.. And well here are some to prove the concept works...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Over 108 bristle nose plecos raised old enough now to be released into the tank ? So THAT should be fun..lol

But the tumbler works fine..lol

I have created a mk3 to fix afew things I didn't like about this one and will post about that when it isn't 1am...lol

i hope this helps some of you ?

Thanks for reading 

Matt

all I need now are my shrimps to lay eggs for me to test with (if they don't carry them this time)

Awesome project.  I've thought of building one myself just to see if I could do it.  So I'm guessing you did have to dismantle a sponge filter for the bullseye?  Also, how long did it take you to count the eggs while in the tumbler?  I think I would get cross-eyed if I had two eyes !

Lol I didn't count them while they were in the tumbler.. Although I could have done that after I seperated the eggs into 1's 

i put them into a Chinese food tub.. Took pictures of all 4 corners and counted.. I very much doubt that there are exactly 108 but there is deff that many am guessing there are probably afew more..

Yes I did have to dismantle the sponge filter.. But my next model the mk3 does not use the bull's eye connector.. But has not been "field" tested yet.. I will update this thread with that one soon.

Matt

Okay now for the mk3 I didn't have any bull's eye connectors but still had an uplift pipe/fittings so wanted to see what I could do.. Also the suction on the mk2 was lower than I intended (was used on pleco eggs instead of shrimp) so thought I would try to address that too.. Plus this is only running on a 100l/h air pump so maybe that was abit low.. But either way..

Here is what I used...

image.jpeg

The lower pipe (bigger one) is made the same way as the mk2 the bottom of the uplift pipe was cut over under the fitting connectors.. Then pushed on the end with netting to hold it on (this netting will need changing after every hatching)

the upper piece of the pipe is a little self container unit to store the airstone.. This was made from the rest of the lower uplift connection after I removed the bottom, all it is really is a sleeve that fits the pipe snugly..

Then I pushed the sleeve over the pipe with some netting (only halfway on) the half that's left will slot onto the top of the bigger pipe.. Make sure this slides smoothly as this is what you will remove to add eggs or if any dead things need removing...Then the top of the uplifted with airstone will be slid onto the very top.. 

hopefully it will create increased suction and I can control exactly how much I want the eggs to move..

I am alittle concerned the airstone may block some flow.. But I will update you when I finally get around to testing it..

Here are some pics of what it looks like finished..

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Hopefully this will give you some ideas for your own tumblers ect... I will make sure I keep you updated on any future plans... You never know when the mk4 will come into my mind..lol

especially once I have tested it and spotted any problems that may need resolving.

Matt