central sump for multi shrimp tanks?

Im building a shrimp room total approx. 400 gal of tanks.  Plan on using a central sump for each bank of tanks (MORE WATER VOLUME MORE STABLE).  Any body doing this as well? Looking at a fluidized bed of K1 media in my sumps..ideas?

If one tank gets an infection, all sharing the water does. I would stay away from a shared sump for that very reason.

I understand the concern with infection but some advantages the parameters would be more stable right. K1 gluidized seems very interesting in a shrimp sump. Less heaters but I would also place sponge filters in each tank.  Bostoneric how many tank were off of you sump...total gallons and how many gallon sump? Turn over? Size of return pump? Appriciate your response. Still in planning stage want to go down proper path for me. Looking at 6 20L gal tanks per sump (20gal)  looking at 3 banks like this 18 tanks each divided in two with a flow thru with filter between. 

We used 5 - 12Gallon cubes linked to a DIY 40Gallon sump.  I'm not really sure what the turn over was, never really measured it.  I just adjusted till i liked the amount of water returning to the tanks. Remember these are shrimp not fish so you dont really need heavy turn over rate.  I actually like the idea of it being a little slower.  Gives the plants time to absorb the extra nutrients going through the sump.  In the photo you can see the HUGE mass of Red Root Floaters in my sump along with nice piles of moss. I also use small containers for filter media and even soil.  I had a pile of amanos and even a couple betas living in the refugium section. I like the idea of fish down there to eat any pests.

I oversized the return pump,  a decent portion of the water was sent back into the refugium to alleviate back pressure on the return pump.  It took some tweaking to ensure water was evenly distributed throughout the 5 tanks.

14411777221_a5e6e93102_b.jpg

I like [emoji4][emoji106]. A few more details on the top tanks like divided, what's the under gravel system I see 2 pipes, have you drilled your tanks. Is the an what or fan nice idea.

On 7/6/2016 at 1:04 PM, Hawaiian Opae said:

What size gph was your return pump. Also 1/2 inch or 3/4 pvc returns?

I believe its a Sicce Syncra 2.0.  the pipe back up from the pump is 1" to 2" T that  you see horizontal across to 3/4" down to each tank with ball valve to adjust the flow for each tank.

original plan was for another shelf of the same tanks, but went different design with those.

11 hours ago, fernselvis said:

I like emoji4.pngemoji106.png. A few more details on the top tanks like divided, what's the under gravel system I see 2 pipes, have you drilled your tanks. Is the an what or fan nice idea.

each tank is split design so UGF in 3/4 back half, dual sponge, and DIY Overflow pipe (i'd drill next time)

soil is personal preference. some like more some like less. i just used the amount that would cover the bottom of the tank as if there wasnt a split.

I would very much do drilled next time. DIY overflow depends on a $.25 air valve not failing. I never had an issue with anything failing but I was pretty proactive about cleaning and monitoring everything.

approx yes. 

for Blue Wizard GH we do it a little different. We dont premix with RO in a container, we actually wait for the tank to refill most of the way and we slowly add Blue Wizard till we get the desired TDS range. pump wait a few mins for it to disperse within the tank, measure TDS. repeat as needed. 

On July 6, 2016 at 1:44 PM, bostoneric said:

We used 5 - 12Gallon cubes linked to a DIY 40Gallon sump.  I'm not really sure what the turn over was, never really measured it.  I just adjusted till i liked the amount of water returning to the tanks. Remember these are shrimp not fish so you dont really need heavy turn over rate.  I actually like the idea of it being a little slower.  Gives the plants time to absorb the extra nutrients going through the sump.  In the photo you can see the HUGE mass of Red Root Floaters in my sump along with nice piles of moss. I also use small containers for filter media and even soil.  I had a pile of amanos and even a couple betas living in the refugium section. I like the idea of fish down there to eat any pests.

I oversized the return pump,  a decent portion of the water was sent back into the refugium to alleviate back pressure on the return pump.  It took some tweaking to ensure water was evenly distributed throughout the 5 tanks.

14411777221_a5e6e93102_b.jpg

Very professional looking setup.:thumbsu:

17 hours ago, Vpier said:

Very professional looking setup.:thumbsu:

Thanks. we like to try all the different methods so we can the experience to help people out with questions. There are many many ways to do it, none are right or wrong. just different methods that get you to the same point.