Hey all, I was planning on breeding cherries sometime soon and wanted to know if this shrimp would devour them. Based on what I know about macros, it's behavior is nothing like them, never attacks the other shrimp (unless food is involved or it has been messed with). Although, I have noticed that it has been getting some markings that seem similar to macros, like red stripes on the antenna and claws, but then again this shrimp is only 3/4 of an inch long, not like the monster macros. Also, it ate my guppy while it was still alive, but it was sick, so I'm not sure. 

Thanks for any help you can give. 

You can see the 'claw' in the third picture. 

13 hours ago, AndyT1978 said:

Hi I think I might have the same as you but bigger, I'm not sure what these are, I thought they were ghost shrimp but with the long arms I'm not sure?

That's definitely a Macrobrachium. When the front arms/claws are longer than the rest of the legs and especially bigger claws, it's a prawn.

From the looks of it, with the body striping, it looks like a Whisker "shrimp", but it's more blue body and bigger claws, it may very well be a younger prawn (still a species of Macrobrachium) that can possibly grow bigger and meaner.

Got home to see this last night !!!

That's two fish down, plus I started off with three of these and now can only find two, I think this is the male, the other hides more and has much shorter and smaller claws.

Think I will have to take these out and back to the shop, I'll be asking for a refund and compensation for the loss of my other fish, I researched ghost shrimp and thought they were peaceful and worst case would be eaten by my goldfish.

It's a shame as they are fascinating to watch.

20160726_183147[1].jpg

True ghost shrimp (Palaemonetes paludosus) are peaceful and don't have large claws.

There are so many shrimp and prawns that get mislabeled as ghost shrimp simply because they look similar by being clear.

What you have is definitely a Macrobrachium prawn, so it's not a true ghost shrimp. Most prawns are aggressive and will kill fish/shrimp like yours are doing.

Definitely separate and return.