Apistogramma agassizii "fire red"... wait, "double red"... err blue... yellow!?

Mr. F

I probably ask too much of you guys, but if any of you are Apistogramma experts or even have a little knowledge on the subject, I need your help:

9a4f2ea10f9c65d1ea396ec520db4c3b.jpg

I got this fish marked as Apisto "fire red" for $9. Seeing that it was clearly not a fire red and feeling quite bad for it in its little teeny tank alone, I literally scooped it up (it was 6th Ave Aquarium- Bay Area people get it), quarantined it, and just released it into my community tank last week. I thought maybe the color change was a stress thing, but it had the same yellow tail in the shop, when I quarantined, and still, although the fish is showing no other signs of stress and loving its numerous hiding places.

So I have a few questions:

1. Is it a "double red" just with a yellow tail? If so is it lower quality? If not what is it?
  2. How much is this fish actually worth?
  3. How do I determine its sex? I'd like to get it a girlfriend/boyfriend. :] My guess is male, but I'm not sure.

Any and as much info as possible is appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Nick

There is definitely no red, but it looks like the same pattern, just yellow with the blue body.

• 3 months later...
not sure if youre still looking for answers, but that is def. a male.  looks to be of the var. "blue"  however the yellow tail is a bit different for that version.  Have you found a female for him yet?

Thanks for the confirmation. Maybe I should look for a var blue fem for him!

Just looked up var blue, definitely it! Thanks a ton!!!!!! Now to source a couple
Fems or maybe another maybe and 3 fems...

• 4 weeks later...

Apistogramma agassizii blue they come in many degrees of the blue form not all will be as bright colored as others. This one looks like as it matures it will get some nice color to it. They do love live foods.

Apistogramma agassizii blue they come in many degrees of the blue form not all will be as bright colored as others. This one looks like as it matures it will get some nice color to it. They do love live foods.  

That's it !

• 3 months later...

Right now I have 3 types. A. Tefe wild caught, A. Panduro and A. Baencshi. I only live a few miles from this guy who sells many different types. www.aquaticclarity.com 

You will find many fish on his stock list and he ships.

Ted sells I will see him this Sunday at the swap meet in Milwaukee. He closed his shop but he sells ans ships out of his house. It is kind of nice only being a few towns away from Jeff or Ted. But it hurts the bank account.

On 3/31/2017 at 7:24 AM, Jeff W said:

Ted sells I will see him this Sunday at the swap meet in Milwaukee. He closed his shop but he sells ans ships out of his house. It is kind of nice only being a few towns away from Jeff or Ted. But it hurts the bank account.

That would be nice, but I would be broke. lol