Japanese/Taiwan Setup's

I been thinking about taking out all the plants from the shrimp tanks I have and going ultra basic like some of our oversea counterparts. I have visited Japanese and Taiwan sites to see how they run their tanks and most of them seem to run ultra basic setups. 

So I wanted to see if anyone is running setups in this style and what success they've had doing so. 

Here are some pics to help explain what I plan on trying. 

_1201829_zps9e1e296f.jpg

11116621_877434005647115_829123943_n.jpg

fc2blog_20130731015801d60.jpg

fc2blog_2013042812583978e.jpg

photo-11.jpg

fc2blog_2013030601370079a.jpg

DETAquarium keeps his tanks pretty bare.

I think the main pro of keeping tanks bare it it makes all of the shrimp visible. My 5 gallon shrimp tanks are pretty full of plants. Sometimes I'll only see certain shrimp a few times a week. I like the plants though, since they provide more surface area for goodies to grow on, and help filter the water.

6 hours ago, Vshrimp said:

c4d145f9b3717a72be282412b30844a3.jpg

Mine is pretty plain and simple. Sponge filter, leaf liter, driftwood, and a feeding dish lol

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Are you getting good breeding results in this style tank?

My main concern is you shrimp not have a place to feel safe.

Are you getting good breeding results in this style tank?

My main concern is you shrimp not have a place to feel safe.

This tank just got done cycling so I cant say yet on the breeding and baby survival rate. Just yesterday i added some mosses

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

For me, tank philosophy depends on your goals. For me, the top goal is to keep both shrimp and plants healthy and thriving. It's the balance of fertilizing the plants vs best fertility of shrimp. They seem to be contrary goals to me, which brings the fun of balancing. I like the ecosystem.

Others are building a breed (or several).

Others want the most beautiful environment in their tanks.

Others are trying to maximize baby quality, output and health to make profit.

Sparse tanks makes for easier culling but less tank beauty.

I actually have been contemplating getting rid of my Mini Pellia carpets, I know, how could I! But instead adding alot more Buce as they are even slower growers than Mini Pellia which in turn will reduce even more maintenance on my end. You need plants, just to help reduce nitrate that may or may not pop up. Plants also provide greenery for the shrimp, a place to not only feel safe, but to feed on the dead plant matter, organic matter, etc.

I think plants are a must, but certainly can be limited as you see the big breeders do. Big breeders also more than likely have higher turnover than most hobbyists in our domestic region. So shorter time for the shrimp to "feel at home".

Oh yea, great to see you back Greenteam! Hope you have been well.

Was debating the same topic myself the other day. I think I'm going to just leave a clump or two of moss and ad some more leaf litter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm in a process of installing a shrimp rack and going to add 4 new tanks. I'm trying very hard to keep them almost empty because I like the look of those simple tanks for shrimping. But I love plants and my tanks are always get crowded with them and then I can't see shrimp... But I think because of the plants my fish and shrimp survived 2 months with no changing water, without cleaning filters, etc. But I'm almost sure I'm not going to keep all of my moss...

I personally also like the look of not a lot of extra stuff in the tank, just a piece of wood and some moss, ferns or buces, the greenery of plants makes it also look more natural and the added benefit of removing nitrates and so on

This is my preferred way

image.jpg

For me I get really picky about the wood. At first I love it, it's the right size it balances out the empty space, and I have plants on it. But then later I notice all of my shrimp are on it/ hiding in the back or between it and the substrate so I never see them! 

1 hour ago, ohmiko said:

For me I get really picky about the wood. At first I love it, it's the right size it balances out the empty space, and I have plants on it. But then later I notice all of my shrimp are on it/ hiding in the back or between it and the substrate so I never see them! 

I emptied 2 tanks of 90% of the plants an left only driftwood and slow growing plants. So in one tank I still have the strong LED light and the other tank has a single T8 basic light. The tank with the LED the shrimp hide all the time, but the one with a low light the shrimp ran around the whole tank.

I'm going to try replacing the LED with a basic light and see if I get same results in both tanks.

yes shrimps need a place to hide....

I like those setups, never try like this, but when i saw my tanks wiht plants, the  no3 raising, wihtout lot of plants what is going on wiht no3?

The other think is the biofilm, wiht plants u add in the tank a lot of surface for shrimps to eat, specialy for baby shrimps.

in the past i keep 400+ crs shrimps, in a 30 lt tank full of plants.

On 8/24/2016 at 0:34 PM, Maurice said:

I personally also like the look of not a lot of extra stuff in the tank, just a piece of wood and some moss, ferns or buces, the greenery of plants makes it also look more natural and the added benefit of removing nitrates and so on

This is my preferred way

image.jpg

I love that you are using floaters for nitrate control here. Since they are "up", I would expect they don't mess with culling operations as well as being super effective nitrate sponges.

You need to control the floaters otherwise it gets hard and out of control. Also if your running HOB it becomes a problem. 44cf3d51cbfc147d0977275be7ed815f.jpg7a78527b05edc0899210aeef90edd5de.jpg0c3a49d4c14f0d429869d52ece89648d.jpg

I have 3 tanks setup the same way doing well in terms of breeding and 3 half bare bottom which have just finished cycling. 5bf08f469001f81005cfa07aa0900000.jpg6ff231d2beab581baec091ab11b144bf.jpg

had a few interesting chats with a couple of the bigger Taiwan breeders recently about the subject of tank setups.

From my understanding the UGF split style tanks are on their way out now because shrimp prices have fallen so much breeders are finding ways to limit their expenses.

The UGF with ceramic balls then soil was super popular for many years, but now most are doing just 1-2" of soil and simple stand up sponge filters.

Its Discobee.  thanks.

Thanks for sharing our awesome setup!  This photo was approx 3 years ago. Out recent conversations with multiple breeders (some are members of this forum) were in the last few days. We discussed how the prices of shrimp have fallen so much in recent years, that they are using different methods for limiting their expenses.  

"Because of low shrimp price, all shrimp breeder start to reduce their cost . It's a hard time to remove the soil, I know that cause I remover over 20 tanks today"

We also no longer use this method because there are parts you dont see that take a long time to setup, break down, and just easier methods now.   Now we use corner HMFs. We've noticed no advantage of one method over the other as far as shrimp health and production. its more about setup costs and ease of use especially for people with multiple systems or racks. We like to try every method so we have experience and can share our knowledge.

photos of our newest rack tanks.  Corner HMF along with eheim 2213.  

2 tank HMF.jpg

4 tank.jpg

Thanks for sharing Eric, very interesting and nice to learn what other breeders around the world are doing now.

9 hours ago, fernselvis said:

Nice setup. The fans for air circulation does it help keep the tanks cooler. How long do Leave them on for? Thoughts about oxidator too.

We are in SoCal so we need the fans to keep the temps down. They are set to a thermostat in the room that automates the fans. Took a few adjustments to get the thermostat temp just right. Tank temps stay around 72/73 during hot spells. We like to use oxidators especially during the summer heat because as water temps rise oxygen in the water decreases.