Veggies!

Wygglz

Okay guys and gals. A bit of background. For those of you who don't know, I'm a psychotherapist who is currently studying Functional Medicine to work on the chemical/physical side of psychological and emotional issues. I am also  a veggie hater. However, veggies are good for us. I spent time eating food cooked by SriLankan cooks and loved the veggies they made though, so perhaps it is preparation. So I'm looking for good veggie recipies that don't taste like veggies. They don't need to be vegetarian, just a way for people like me to get more veggies. Please of course don't post ones that can't be shared as I will want to share them with clients at times but I'm happy to give credit where credit is due if you'd like. Hopefully, now that gardens are being harvested here in the north and next year is seeding in our minds, we can all be a bit healthier.

I'm a vegetarian, but I am very picky about how my veggies are cooked. I roast almost everything, which I think give a much better flavor and texture.

What are the veggies that you do like?

For starters, this is one of our favorite recipes at the moment: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/greek-style-vegetable-casserole

I leave out the zucchini since I can't stand it, but I add in chunks of carrots and cauliflower. You can make this with whatever veggies you like, but I think firmer veggies work best.

I would look into a balsamic glaze. Never tried to make it myself.

I like to grill veggies because I like the flavour. If you marinate them first in some vinaigrette, it's even better.

I need to learn how to roast them. I've tried and failed.

Pan seared brussels are a fave, which is kind of like roasting, because you get the carmelized sugars. Probably works with other veggies, too.

Toss a little grated parmesan on any of them :) It's better than just plain salt.

Ok, so to throw my own in there for others who might be interested, I grow zucchini and shred it when I pick it, then freeze it. I use it all year and add it to everything. Mac and cheeze with spirally pasta hides zucchini beautifully. Waffle batter? You never even taste it. Carrot cake, sloppy joes, anything I can throw it in I will just to add veggies.

• 2 years later...