Possible to mix colors without reverting to wild?

Hello,

I am new to the forum. About 5 months ago I purchased a couple batches of neocaridina davidi shrimp from two different sources.

The first were Grade AA Red Cherry shrimp from The Shrimp Farm.  I don't see that grade on the WT lineage chart so maybe just a difference in naming?  Are they sakura?

I also purchased another dozen of Neon Yellow from Aquatic Arts.  These were said they have the goldenback gene and true enough their offspring have brilliant golden stripes down their backs.

I was told they would revert to wild or orange?  I know nothing of genetics so any information you can give me would be great!

After 5 months there have been at least two or three? generations born.  The funny thing is for the most part their colors have stayed true.  I have lots of neon yellows with the goldenback and many dark red shrimp.  I have a couple that appear washed out more like a standard cherry shrimp.  Can you explain why this would be and what I should expect?

In looking at the lineage chart the yellows and reds come from a different neocaridina line?

Anyways, should I expect this to continue with their colors?  Are they not interbreeding or is it that one gene is dominant over others?

What would happen if I added in saphire blues?  

My last question is I have about 50 right now in my 7g cube (along with 5 endlers), is that too many shrimp?  They are fun to watch. 

2016-09-03 11.08.06.jpg

Interesting you should post this. Years ago my yellows kept dying out.  I bought hundreds of dollars of yellows over time, and if I looked at them funny they would drop dread.

Out of desperation I crossed my yellows with reds thinking I would have to cull, but at least I would have heartier yellows.

To my surprise, I wound up with yellows and reds with very few wilds.  Others have tried to replicate what I did and they wind up with a majority of wilds, which leads me to believe color is located at more than one spot.  Depending on the strain, color may reside at a different location.

For instance red may be located at spot 1 or spot 2.  Spot 1 would yield wilds when crossed because they conflict with another color, while spot 2 may be dominant over another color because it does not conflict.

This is only my theory, but so far- you seem to be the only one whom has recreated my experiment.  All this is under uncontrolled conditions, of course.  So the best we can say is this is a theory.

Thanks for your response.  So do you think it has something to do with the fact that the two colors come from two different WT trees?  (I don't know what WT means....)  I guess though that they only show yellow colors from that one tree and if others ended up with wilds it doesn't explain things.  But perhaps its just that these particular reds gene locations do not get cancelled out with the genes of the yellows (do you know what Grade AA Red Cherry matches on that chart?  Is it the same as Grade A but darker or something?).

The interesting thing is that all the parents died within a month or so.  Each day I would wake up to find another one or two dead and was baffled.  None or very few of the offspring have died and have gone on to reproduce like crazy.

So if I added blue, probably nothing good would happen then right? :)

Stocking levels wise, at one point should I see if a store will take some of them?  I have about 50 in my 7g cube.

Thanks for your response.  So do you think it has something to do with the fact that the two colors come from two different WT trees?  (I don't know what WT means....)  I guess though that they only show yellow colors from that one tree and if others ended up with wilds it doesn't explain things.  But perhaps its just that these particular reds gene locations do not get cancelled out with the genes of the yellows (do you know what Grade AA Red Cherry matches on that chart?  Is it the same as Grade A but darker or something?).

The interesting thing is that all the parents died within a month or so.  Each day I would wake up to find another one or two dead and was baffled.  None or very few of the offspring have died and have gone on to reproduce like crazy.

So if I added blue, probably nothing good would happen then right? [emoji4]

Stocking levels wise, at one point should I see if a store will take some of them?  I have about 50 in my 7g cube.

I ll take some yellows :)

I might try yellows with my blue dream and see what will come out- I m setting a new tank tomorrow,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny! My yellows diminished too! I only have males now so I just purchased 10 females to see how that ends up! Maybe I'll introduce Sakura red from my LFS :) been dying to get those since $2 each is so tempting!!! Ravishing red

3 hours ago, Soothing Shrimp said:

@CindiL I've heard of blue x aoc = wilds

However, having said that- you could always experiment. :-)

I'm sorry but what does aoc mean? 

So I guess we don't really know why they have not reverted to wilds, though I like your theory :)  If anything, my yellows are much more vibrant the more they breed.  I remember the first batch of offspring were very pale, and I was disappointed but since then they have just gotten brighter, especially the yellow stripe.

Generally you're saying when you mix colors you will end up with wild coloring eventually?

I won't add in the blue since I've got a good thing going on in there.

Oh yeah, what is an acceptable stocking per gallon with neocaridina?

aoc = any other color

" Generally you're saying when you mix colors you will end up with wild coloring eventually? "

Yepper.

"Oh yeah, what is an acceptable stocking per gallon with neocaridina?"

As many as your filtration can keep up with.  Not unusual to have 100+ or more in a 10g.

17 hours ago, barvinok said:

@CindiL the combination of reds and yellows looks stunning.

Watch endlers- they love shrimp for dinner. Mine reduced colony of cherries to 5 shrimp in densely planted tank.

Thank you :)

Wow, that surprises me about your endlers.  I've had mine for months and they don't show any interest at all in the shrimp.  A lot of the shrimp as are big as them, they'd have to be awfully young shrimp (fry?) to be eaten by my endlers.

20 hours ago, barvinok said:

@CindiL the combination of reds and yellows looks stunning.

Watch endlers- they love shrimp for dinner. Mine reduced colony of cherries to 5 shrimp in densely planted tank.

My sister put in five CPD into her Fire Red Cherry tank. Decimated her baby shrimp, narry one to be found. They were moved to their own tank and her shrimp are now recovering nicely. Always have to be careful; just because the fish and the shrimp are the same size does not mean they are shrimp safe or if you have no problems they suddenly won't develop a hankering for a shrimpfeast.

And the more tanks the merrier.

=^._.^=