New home for Caridina sulawesi breeding project wanted

Steve R.

Because my upcoming move to California, and the reduction of my tank number to two (at least for the first year), I have to abandon a breeding project that I started two years ago.

My goal was to establish a blue Caridina sulawesi line, which I tentatively called Blue Crown Shrimp. In my original tank, there was good progress. But the line so far is not very stable. When I moved the bluest shrimp to a new tank (see the two pictures), they lost most of their color within a few days. It seems that the blue color is more intense with slightly acidic pH.

Please pm me if you are interested in seriously continuing this project. I have probably 100+ shrimps (with no, weak or intermediate blue coloration) that can be used for breeding. It would definitely take some effort but it might be worth it.

You would just have to cover the shipping costs.

Screen shot 2016-09-09 at 8.31.59 AM.png

Screen shot 2016-09-09 at 8.33.19 AM.png

Bryce is getting them. He ordered shrimps for shipping next week anyway.

I am glad that they will have a great home.

Thanks to the others who expressed interested.

I am sure that Bryce will make them available, if he is successful. No pressure!

Great to see them go to Bryce!

Good work you have put in so far Steve! Don't think I've ever come across any Caridina sulawesi for sale in my short time in shrimp keeping.

What water parameters were you keeping them in?

Can you note the exact pH's where you noticed the color differences? Bred most in? (I know you already have great new homes for them, just curious)

If a blue Sulawesi shrimp is what you were after, there are some that are naturally partially blue. If you wanted them more blue, you could always work on them (selective breed).

I saw @joeaquacrs's (who's located in Cali) supplier in Taiwan, has a strain of Blue Sulawesi Cardinal shrimp (Caridina dennerli). They are a blue strain and should breed a good percentage true, but they aren't selling them yet. They shouldn't be stressed (they are breeding), and being Caridinals, their pH would be in the higher end so the blue should be true/permanent (not just blue due to stress and/or low pH).

There is a Blue Leg Poso Sulawesi shrimp (Caridina caerulea) as well if you weren't aware. Joe's Aqua recently started selling them.

As far as I know, Blue Leg Poso are supposed to be really hardy, breed easy and were sold cheap in other areas (though I don't see them available in the US too often), but Joe's is selling them, though pretty pricey (compared to the figures I seen other people buy them for).

And of course, you could always work with the hardy Malawa shrimp, just using the blue morphs.

Saw pics of other blue Sulawesi shrimp, but never seen any available in the US.

Oh, by the way, for the strain name, "Blue Crown" may not be the best name. There is a shrimp company (in Cali) with the name Blue Crown Aquatics and the similar names might make people think Blue Crown were the originators/developers of that strain or you just may not want them to be associated/confused with each other for possible feedback/review reasons.

*ahh, after typing all this, I saw a old thread of yours :)  How'd the golden crown project end up?