Vampire crabs

Shrimpo

I'm interested in living vicariously through you for a while, my friend.  At some point, I'd like to try breeding these.  I'm not set up for it atm though.

I'm guessing that the different colors may be from different areas, and similar enough to breed together.  I've not found out much about differences in care between colors though.

Lunar ,

Have you seen the mandarin crabs from Indonesia?   They aren't as colorful as vampire crabs . Though I think colors vary for both but they do not tear each other up like vampire crabs . Pet store I go to had them last year together for months .

A store I used to work for kept these. They are much more sociable as long as you keep the m/f ratio heavy on the female side. We never had a problem with them and even had some try to breed. They don't like much light..they would hide if it was too bright. 

Vampires I have been told.......I don't have them. BUT...my friend that does, says not to keep these vampire or red devils together. They will fight. Even too many of the same color (basically) will if the males outnumber the females. They also can't go with Halloween crabs. 

Thanks for the input guys, it seams like there is too many options here, I want to keep crabs that don't hide all the time and can be kept in group (same or different species).

Are Halloween crabs shy like Mandarins? what ratio they should be kept at?

Well, from what I can find.....they have gone through a change over the last few years. They are much bigger than when I saw them and they are more aggressive. They are cute. They look like a halloween pumpkin. Seriously! And they are more active at night or in the evening. They can't be bred at home, they need the ocean. (Big strike for me) But if you want something you can't touch and just want ornamentals.....they are pretty. They also used to be called a Blue Moon or a Full Moon crab, but most people liked Halloween crab better. 

That's about all I know in a crab shell...errr nut shell.  :thumbsu:

• 1 month later...

Don't put them together. Different species will fight, with one being the dominant (often times the red) and the other ones getting killed. If you want crabs that you can see, the red devils are a lot more sociable and once they are used to the environment and you walking around in front of their tank, they will come out. Mine have several generations in the tank and I see them all the time. The purple vampires don't come out unless at night and then only until I move. Good luck, keep us updated!

Hey hey soothing! found you  :P . I have them in a 38 gallon tank with above and below water areas. I think there is a journal on TPT somewhere. I haven't been in ages. If anyone wants a detailed build, I can see what I can do here in terms of build step by step. I have made some mistakes with this first build, and some parts worked really well. I think overall if I'd do it again, I'd forgo the huge water are, and just make a small basin that I'd manually change the water of, or integrate some sort of filter. Once they are happy and well fed, they will breed automatically!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...