ADA Amazonia Soil and Ammonia?

Hey,

Does anyone know how long ADA's Amazonia soil will give off ammonia?  Starting up a PRL tank and wondering how long it will take before it's safe for shrimp...  I have a pre-cycled sponge filter from another healthy tank, but I'm not sure if it will have enough bacteria to take care of it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
Hey,
Does anyone know how long ADA's Amazonia soil will give off ammonia?  Starting up a PRL tank and wondering how long it will take before it's safe for shrimp...  I have a pre-cycled sponge filter from another healthy tank, but I'm not sure if it will have enough bacteria to take care of it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Couple weeks which is nothing because the tank will cycle itself. You'll see people argue the substrates that don't leech, but then you wonder if they aren't cycling their tanks all the way. Sure you can do it but wouldn't recommend unless you've done it a lot. I have used a ton of different soils and they all worked good as they should but didn't last.

Also none of them got the PH lower than ADA. Spare yourself from swapping substrate in a year and cycle the tank with ADA you won't regret it.

Taylor's Aquatics - Rare Plants & Inverts
http://www.taylorsaquatics.com

I used ADA for years. It's a tried an true soil for old school shrimpers kinda like Salty Shrimp GH+, but there's actually quite a few good soils we don't get state side. 

Currently I made the switch in all my tanks to SL-Aqua and it's buffering my RO water to 5.6 just like my ADA would. Breeding has not slowed & survival of the young shrimp is going strong. I prep the tank with substrate addictive's & remineralized water then let it sit for 24 hours to allow temps to settle before adding shrimp. 

I guess I always found it interesting how people get caught up on one style of cycling. Before keeping shrimp I did fish and I learned way more about cycling with them then I have with shrimp.

There's actually 2 simple ways to process ammonia 1. is thru bacteria & 2. thru plants. Sounds simple but people get caught up on the 1st. In my fish breeding tanks I would run no filters, no air stone, no substrate. All I would do it make sure I had 3 key plants in the tank Java moss, hornwort, & some type of floater like dwarf water lettuce. I would fill the tanks add my plants & wait 24 hours then toss is the fish I want to breed and come back in a few months. 

I actually have a 30g breeder outside right now with no filter or air stone just the plants I mentioned. tossed in 8 CPD's, 4 Dwarf blue crays, 2 long fin danios, & 10 male blue bolts. In 2 months I have something like 30+ CPDs, a small army of blue crays that patrol the bottom of the tank, 20+ danios, all 10 blue bolts still going strong. I just top-off with tap water heck I don't even feed the tank since the small bugs are free food. 

I avoid the bacteria only method since just like any living creature they can die and then tanks crash. Since shrimp's produce such a small bio load & I swear the snails are the workhorse when it come to keeping your tank cycled by producing waste. But just my 2 cents on the traditional 30 day cycling for shrimps.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/3/2016 at 10:10 AM, Mike16T said:

I started with ADA aquasoil for my planted tank. What I did is 50% water change everyday for the first week then 50% water 3 times for the following week followed by 2 times with 50% again on the third week. It cycles faster that way.

Follow this one .You can add established filter in the beginning of the third  week. If you do it earlier you will kill all beneficial bacteria in the filter. Use tap water with prime.