30G Tank, peaceful fish etc and wtb

ohmiko

I have a 30G that i switched from shrimp to fish. I just bought 5 Harlequin rasbora, 2 serpae tetras (that im moving bc theyre nippy) and two of those flat tetras that are usually called glo tetra (moving as well). 

What are some good tank mates peaceful but have different personalities and feeding areas like top swimmers, mid swimmers, bottom?

I'm also interested if anyone is selling fish too! on my mind I have Scarlet badis, Chili rasbora, Pygmy sunfish(maybe), galaxy/pearl rasbora and whatever you can convince to me works!  

I plan to add ram snails, Amano shrimp, Kuhli loach (maybe). And going to get pygmy cory soon 

I an tell you that pygmy cories are shy little creatures, but are cute as dickens. I am going to be doing a 20G with small fish as well. Going to be putting Celestial Pearl Danios, I can order them in from Petco for less tha $2 each. I have a few ottos, and was thinking of getting some chili rasbora too. There will be a couple of nerites, but I really want a few more rabbits. Though, there will still be cherry neos in there...

=^._.^=

Oh I've always wanted Chili Raspboras!  I think they'd look so cool in a bookcase nano because they're so tiny.  But such great color!

I have threadfin rainbowfish in my community tank and I absolutely love them.  They pop their fins up constantly and they're a really interesting fish.  I love to watch peoples reactions to them.  They usually look startled and exclaim "Oh, that little fish just did something...." and giggle.  There's a great video of them here: 

1 hour ago, TheGlassBox said:

They're midwater dwellers and play very well in the sandbox.

:)

I think I need some now!

It's really cool when the males 'dual'.  That's what i call it when 2 males 'pop their topsail' and swim side by side very quickly  like they're trying to race each other.  I got some pseudomugil gertrudaes ARU II because they have a beautiful dance as well.  Unfortunately you rarely see it.  Definitely a pretty and interesting little fish.  Got to keep a small school though to see it best.  I have about a dozen.  And they're easy breeders.

• 3 weeks later...

Scarlet badis are really beautiful (at least the dominant male will be)./ If you could get 1 male and several females this will be a winning combo though very difficult as no one likes to import the females. These require live food. Also your loach option will out compete them.

Celestial danios are awesome but need more air than the other nano fish (of you run an air stone you will be fine).

Chilis are nice but do not do much. schoolers with 0 personality.

Lambchops are a nice orange chrome but just schoolers with no personality.

Dwarf croaking goramis are shy. Mine have 1 live offspring (no idea when that happened) they are also a little bigger than the other fish mentioned here.

I do not have Pygmy sunfish. do they also require live food?

For bottom level I'm not sure if pygmy corys will out compete the badis? culls will also work until you figure out the temperament of yours.

• 2 weeks later...

If you would like to find some amazing fish for your tank give this site a look. http://msjinkzd.com/ I buy lots of fish from her and she is always there to answer questions.

10 hours ago, Jeff W said:

If you would like to find some amazing fish for your tank give this site a look. http://msjinkzd.com/ I buy lots of fish from her and she is always there to answer questions.

That site has some really cool looking fish I have never seen before.

Aren't apple snails banned?

I think apple snails are banned in some states, but not all?  I could be wrong.  Then again I'm from Maine.  Everything is banned here...   Don't rat me out!  :D

I love small schoolers in a tank.  You can do so much with a 40G breeder.  So much interest in having a variety of different fish with different colors and behaviors.  I'd love to have larger tanks, but I live in an old farmhouse I'm renovating, and I still need to do some work on the supporting beams in the basement.

But even when everything's fixed, and I can have bigger fish in a bigger tank, I'll never part with a tank of small schoolersl!

And I've always had a male betta in there just for flash.  If it's a heavily planted tank, they're fine.  They're top dwellers, so you just put in fish that occupy the middle and lower levels and they'll stay out of 'Grumpy's' way....

:)