The Beauty of Tuepfel

I thought I'd take the time and show what beautiful shrimp Tuepfel are.  Through the courtesy of Google, I'm able to bring you examples of some of the different varieties that have been bred by folks in Europe.

From the wild Tuepfel

gallery_2_31_14857.jpg

We have the Tangerine Tiger that most shrimpers are aware of in America

Goldene-Tiger-Tangerine-Tiger_b4.jpg

However, did you know there are also Yellow Tuepfel?

gallery_2_31_934.jpeg

How about Red Tuepfel?

gallery_2_31_13359.jpg

Aura Blue Tuepfel anyone?

gallery_2_31_21104.jpg

Even an Apple Green Tuepfel

gallery_2_31_14221.jpg

Importers have not brought these into America now for years.  Perhaps it is time again to explore them?

Caridina Serrata / Tupfel Shrimp. Vs Caridina cf. cantonensis "Tiger" ? Google describes them as a variation of tiger? I'm assuming both bring caridina they will mix? Love the yellow and green ones! How long ago were they available in the states?

Tuepfel x crystal = pseudo TiB

Tiger x crystal = TiB

The first one to distinguish between TIB since it is a separate species than Tiger. :)

I made up that term, but it makes sense to me and everyone that I talked it over with has agreed and used it to help identify shrimp between hobbyists to limit confusion.

How long until colors are available in the states?  As long as it takes an importer to find and bring them in.  Most are in Europe, however most importers import from Asian countries.

i would love to move to just tigers one of these days. to be honest i kinda find them a bit more rewarding than TB lol. now once i have my tb breed i might not say that but as far as keeping i think tigers were more a pain in the rear. and a bit more sensitive than the tb are. 

If you have contacts in Europe let me know and I can see if I can bring some in.  I have a local transhipper that I can use for the customs side of it.

I was actually looking at Apple Greens a few days ago and almost posted about them here before I saw this thread. I think they are beautiful and it is a shame they're not over here in the US much.

Apple greens are created by Red Tuepfel or TT or Yellow Tuepfel x Aura Tuepfel.  The color it is crossed with affects how deep the green is.

So even if we got only the Aura here (IF we could keep it alive being a sensitive shrimp), we could breed our own Apples.

• 3 months later...

Great info Soothing. Never knew that there were two different primary variations.

• 1 month later...

I have auras. Mine came from Canada through shrimp fever.

Careful with purchasing these. Since they have been bred in Europe for years they have better quality and color to them. The ones we seem to be getting here in the states are mostly clear. I was lucky enough to get some saturated colors in the 20 that I ordered. These are the most colorful ones I have and the algae that they're on is Caloglossa.

post-534-0-36636900-1417207780_thumb.jpg

Thanks Rye! I'm new to Caloglossa sp. Weirdly, it shows different color under other lighting. Reddish in fluorescent, brown in natural light and purple under led's.

Thanks Rye! I'm new to Caloglossa sp. Weirdly, it shows different color under other lighting. Reddish in fluorescent, brown in natural light and purple under led's.

Where did you get this algae. Sees odd to asking where to buy algae.