I'm in over my head? But I'm doing it anyway!

MrShrimpo

Thanks! No updates for now. I'm hoping to get some more done this weekend. I want to finish the box and build the 10 pullouts, but we'll see...

20170330_190322.jpg.7251af606d148ba5bfc4cf673b41304d.jpg

This is the current setup I'm replacing. 

Over the weekend I picked up some 20 gallon long tanks from Petco and drilled them for overflows. I finished the box and started plumbing the tanks. I don't have any pictures as my phone is bricked and am waiting for a replacement from the manufacturer :/

On 4/3/2017 at 6:52 PM, chappy6107 said:

my local petco has the 40g @ $50 & the 55g @ $65...wth

I don't see that as a problem, our 'LFS' has 10 gallon tanks for about $27, it's about as cheap as you'll find locally, including our WalMart.

Frankly I'd jump on a 40G breeder for that price.

1 hour ago, LesterBee said:

I don't see that as a problem, our 'LFS' has 10 gallon tanks for about $27, it's about as cheap as you'll find locally, including our WalMart.

Frankly I'd jump on a 40G breeder for that price.

the going price for every other sale for the 40g = $40 & the $55g = $55   and sometimes the $75g = $75

it is not the price.  It is the notion that they have raised their prices.  I understand prices are going up on everything, but its not going up on my paycheck.

the increased prices are still good prices but the 40g went up 25% & the 55g went up 18%  

this might be cheaper than your LFS, but around my neck of the woods, this is way above normal.

Considering that I would have to drive 190 miles round trip in a truck that gets 16 mpg to take advantage of the closest Petco dollar per gallon sale, plus time away from my spring projects, I think I could easily pay $60.00 for the 40 gallon breeder if it was sold local.  I mean it's a first world problem,  Petco is probably losing money on the dollar a gallon tanks sale and they needed to bump the price.  For some of us it would still be a bargain.

4 hours ago, LesterBee said:

Considering that I would have to drive 190 miles round trip in a truck that gets 16 mpg to take advantage of the closest Petco dollar per gallon sale, plus time away from my spring projects, I think I could easily pay $60.00 for the 40 gallon breeder if it was sold local.  I mean it's a first world problem,  Petco is probably losing money on the dollar a gallon tanks sale and they needed to bump the price.  For some of us it would still be a bargain.

I can respect your situation on this as far as availability to your location.  I live in the Dallas Tx metroplex and we have petco, petsmart, and a pet supplies plus.  All of which have a $1/ gallon sale and all of which have always had the 40g breeder & 55g tanks at the $1 / gallon price.  I am just hoping the other 2 locations continue to have it at the old price.  We even have a LFS that sells the 10g tanks @ $6 each 4 times a year.  They claim to still make money on those tanks.  

Here's to making the mighty dollar, Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

The cabinet is done and it has been sitting in my dining room for months waiting for plumbing and electrical. I almost did it one day but the pvc glue I had was so old I couldn't open the bottles...

I lost all my shrimp to some plague on new plants I received as trade, should've quarantined... lesson learned. Now I am moving to a new city and this will go in storage until I can find a house again. I will be building a smaller cabinet for a single 29 gallon tank once I move and will be rebuilding my shrimp collection...

20180119_164144.jpg.91628a1895b33e56ecd3f1ac09762d51.jpg

@MrShrimpo, It's a shame about your shrimp and the cabinet going into storage.  That thing is absolutely beautiful!  

When you get to wherever you are going, if you end up wanting some of the same line of OERBT's that you sold me just hit me up.  They have been doing very well for me.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I feel terrible man, I have no idea what was on the plants. Some came from tanks with shrimp and fish and some were emersed. When your ready I’ll hopefully have OEBTs and Red Pintos for you but deffinetly TT if you want them. 

Keegan