TDS going down

I'm so stupid lol. I just discovered my water conditioner was raising my tds lol. Any other way to make my tap water safe?

Most discoveries make what you used to know seems stupid. Funny how that works with pretty much everything. That's learning lol! I don't think theres any other way than RO or distillation if your water has chloramine and distillation is not worth the effort. On the plus side if nothing is going wrong then things are going good. Try to get a water quality report for your area. That will tell you what's in the water at least and may put your mind at ease. I can't see the conditioner raising TDS too much, or is it?

1 minute ago, Undershrimp said:

Most discoveries make what you used to know seems stupid. Funny how that works with pretty much everything. That's learning lol! I don't think theres any other way than RO or distillation if your water has chloramine and distillation is not worth the effort. On the plus side if nothing is going wrong then things are going good. Try to get a water quality report for your area. That will tell you what's in the water at least and may put your mind at ease. I can't see the conditioner raising TDS too much, or is it?

My tap water is at 383 tds. My tank water is at 450 lol. My tap probably doesn't have chlorine since I've added some without the water conditioner in before and the shrimp were fine. Better to be safe than sorry though

My tap water is at 383 tds. My tank water is at 450 lol. My tap probably doesn't have chlorine since I've added some without the water conditioner in before and the shrimp were fine. Better to be safe than sorry though

I would definitely get your local water quality report. It'll give you information on any and everything in your water. Very very useful and required by law. Those water conditioners are a bit misleading though. Adding something to remove or get less of something else just sounds funny now that I think about it lol. My prime bottle (I use it with tap when cleaning items) says removes chlorine and chloramines but that's not really whats going on, they're still in there. It does bind/break down things so that they can be removed, however the prime is not what's doing the removing. Even then it's not being removed it's being processed into something else. If your water doesn't have chlorine, chloramines or certain metals in it you may be able to ditch the conditioner. I would call the local water department though as they may still add it in the summer. As people on this forum are well aware, bacteria thrive in hotter temps and that is when they tend to dump some in.

4 minutes ago, Undershrimp said:

I would definitely get your local water quality report. It'll give you information on any and everything in your water. Very very useful and required by law. Those water conditioners are a bit misleading though. Adding something to remove or get less of something else just sounds funny now that I think about it lol. My prime bottle (I use it with tap when cleaning items) says removes chlorine and chloramines but that's not really whats going on, they're still in there. It does bind/break down things so that they can be removed, however the prime is not what's doing the removing. Even then it's not being removed it's being processed into something else. If your water doesn't have chlorine, chloramines or certain metals in it you may be able to ditch the conditioner. I would call the local water department though as they may still add it in the summer. As people on this forum are well aware, bacteria thrive in hotter temps and that is when they tend to dump some in.

Any other reason other than my conditioner that can be the cause of the rising of my tds?

Any other reason other than my conditioner that can be the cause of the rising of my tds?

I don't think so unless it is happening in the tank from waste or there is something slowly breaking down in there I.e. rock, crushed coral etc. I doubt it would be the substrate. I figure if someone had an issue with it, it would have arose in a thread by now. Certain substrates and how they work is one thing I am trying to get more of an understanding of.

Just now, Undershrimp said:

I don't think so unless it is happening in the tank from waste or there is something slowly breaking down in there I.e. rock, crushed coral etc. I doubt it would be the substrate. I figure if someone had an issue with it, it would have arose in a thread by now. Certain substrates and how they work is one thing I am trying to get more of an understanding of.

You and me both.