Setup of our competition shrimp tank.

EricM

So thought I'd do a journal so you can see the progress as we start a tank just for our shrimp we want to prepare for Novembers contest.

The tank is approx 10 gallons, the perfect size for a selection tank. Here is the first week of setup.

First steps: May1st

SL-Aqua Nature Soil powder. 

34497247845_9cf79af997_b.jpg

Next, add 1 spoonful of SL-Aqua Magic Powder

34366929171_48f0ec7db0_b.jpg

Then I added 1 spoonful of SL-Aqua Milione

34456124726_86c7cf147f_b.jpg

Adding just enough RODI water to cover the soil, then adding SL-Aqua Purify. I used approximate 200ml. 

33655031544_03493eb89c_b.jpg

Edited by bostoneric

2 minutes ago, TropicalAquarist said:

LOL, I am too fast! I see the sponges now! Looks nice and gross, shrimp will love all that gunk! Speaking of which, what type of shrimp are we planning to stock?

The plan is to put a few pairs of our high-grade PRL and get them ready for Nov.

Thanks Eric for this step by step narrative along with the pictures.  It gives all of us a much better picture of doing this the right way instead of the hard way. (cash + time lost)  ,,,,Mike

Great journal thus far Eric. Thanks for sharing. I need to get in gear for the November competition. 

9 minutes ago, pantungw said:

What kind of sponge filter do you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are the Quanvee sponge filters, not sure they are really any better than normal sponge filters. But these are what I had available at the time.  I do like the sponge material on them. seems to be a little denser than the normal cheap sponges.

14 hours ago, bostoneric said:

These are the Quanvee sponge filters, not sure they are really any better than normal sponge filters. But these are what I had available at the time.  I do like the sponge material on them. seems to be a little denser than the normal cheap sponges.

Hey @bostoneric do you know if these sponge filters would fit on the input of an Eheim 2213?

On 5/9/2017 at 4:07 PM, pantungw said:

Sorry, what is the green balls attachment- is it for filtering nitrate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the area that holds the balls is green. i'm using ehiem media inside that space.

10 hours ago, bostoneric said:

@DETAquarium Yes I think they would fit a 2213. I can test fit for you. 

@bostoneric that would be great if you could do that, would love to test a few out and possibly change all external canister filters to sponge filter intakes. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

We never really updated after setting up. This was because we didnt want any photos to leak of our competition grade PRL before the contest. 

anyways... 

We took first place in the red/black bee category at the USA contest this year.

5a035de7bcf5b_Discobeeprl.jpg.21d3b720f5c051bfb65e87afb580cb21.jpg