Neocardina Aquarium Adventures

afeather

Okay, I think I have at least 3 berried females now. I'm going to be over run with shrimp soon!

I also noticed 2 "clusters"(?) of eggs(?) I assume on the undersides of my anubias leaves. Are these shrimp eggs? Snail eggs? Or neither! Haha any ID help would be appreciated
b6f6ac596501c01276dc3f4bdf6e653d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are your many snail eggs, soon you'll have more snails than shrimps! Enjoy

Those are your many snail eggs, soon you'll have more snails than shrimps! Enjoy

Ah thank you for the ID! Wow.... I'm going to be overwhelmed with snails soon [emoji15]

• 1 month later...

I haven't done an update in almost a month and a half! Some pics of my gorgeous yellows and I purchased 7 Crystal Reds locally from @ddd_sss. Thank you to him! They currently live with my yellow neo's. Everyone is doing well. I'll post pics of the 7G red's soon! Plants are growing like crazy. I've removed SO much Frog bit! I may throw it all out. Too annoying. And my tank is COVERED with baby snails. Which is also annoying but I will deal with it eventually...

IMG_8371.JPG

IMG_8372.JPG

IMG_8408.JPG

IMG_8410.JPG

IMG_8416.JPG

• 5 months later...

Well almost half a year since I updated! Since I haven't been happy with the quality of my iphone photos, this time I created a video of my tanks and their progress so far. 

I ramble on way too much in this, but it is mostly for my own documentation anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

Christmas or should I say Fishmas was great this year! I received quite a few aquarium-related items including a Fluval Spec V AND a Finnex Planted+ 24/7 SE light! (I have the first generation of that light and pretty much every problem or annoyance I had with it has been solved with the 2nd gen. I’m impressed!) I’m super excited to set everything up and start aquascaping. I purchased some new spider wood and hardscape rocks from my LFS this week.

e03b9d49866708865d7cc5a7b229dd3a.jpg

However, I think I’ve decided to stock it with a betta instead of shrimp! (Don’t hate me everyone lol) Thanks to the internet, I have now realized how far betta genetics have advanced and have been blown away by these new koi/marbled genes, dumbo ears, HMPK’s, giant types, and more. I had no clue! The Koi’s especially have caught my eye! I’ve actually purchased a lovely koi HMPK male from a breeder locally but asked him to hold him for a few weeks while I set up the new tank.

876ff19020eaf17a74b7a56d89bc7942.jpg

Ain’t he gorgeous?? And I’ve also started an Instagram account for my Shrimp/betta hobby aquarium photos because why not? @iveseenbettadays

As for my shrimp, I’m going to start buying shipping supplies and attempt to sell and ship some of my Painted Fire Red Shrimps as I am being over run by them and could use some post-holiday-recovery money. Lol My 10g has mainly become my culls/wild tank and I’ve been trying to give them away locally to any friends with freshwater tanks where I think they’ll do alright. I may convert that tank eventually into a proper shrimp tank or perhaps another fancy betta? Not sure.

d4d6bf2586e6664fdd84ab837fb5cc0a.jpg6d9a881609b982dc17dcaf25424be506.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

It has been about 1 month since my last update. Lots has happened! I'll try to keep this post mostly about my shrimp, but I'm really proud of my new bettas. My fire red colony has been growing out of control! I've listed them for sale locally on Craigslist for $3/each and sold 50+ in 2 weekends. Wow! I have supplies to ship them too, but haven't listed them for sale anywhere online yet. I'm also really contemplating getting into Blue Velvets. I found a person on Craigslist who is selling nice deep blue velvets: $50 for x14 and is willing to meet me half way in Anaheim. Not bad? I just need the tank space... haha I'm probably fortunate I am only renting a room from friends because if were up to me, I'd be surrounded by aquariums now. Yikes lol 

Some recent pics of my fire reds are attached. I bought a little macro lens clip on for my iphone for $5 and WOW that thing is awesome! These pics are all x12 magnification. I can finally see their little details!

And the last 2 pics are my planted tank's progress. They're all growing like crazy since upgrading 2 of them to Finnex Planted+ 24/7's. I'm going to have to start selling plant clippings soon so I'm not over grown! lol 

IMG_1309.JPG

IMG_1312.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG

IMG_1465.JPG

IMG_1491.JPG

• 1 year later...

Well it’s been a while since an update (a year and a half), so here we go!  Unfortunately I had to move not once but twice, so every time I got the tanks established and colony populations were thriving I had to do my best to carefully move them which I’m sure was stressful for everyone. But a bit of good news: my boyfriend and I got a place and we decided (okay, he allowed me) to get a shrimp tank rack! It’s not finished yet, but most of the tanks are set back up on it and I only wish we had one sooner! So much easier and cleaner to have the tanks all in one area. And it’s around a wall corner so guests don’t have to see my sore thumb of an aquarium hobby and judge us. Lol I’m guilty for getting my boyfriend involved at least too! We each have 3 tanks going (6 total) so I’m not sure who is crazier. Hehe 

Ill stop rambling... bottom line: populations are down overall across the tanks, but I’m really happy with this set up now and hopefully we don’t move again soon. Lol

We have:

10G: Neon Yellow Neo colony (going to break down and start a 13 Gallon for them instead)

7G: Painted Fire Red neos 

5G: Blue Velvet neos

3G: Sunset Orange neos 

and the other two are under construction. One is a 13G heavily planted with fish but that’ll probably change too.

a few months ago I attempted some Crystals from my LFS but long story short, I have none now. I just can’t get them to stay alive even with remineralized RODI water. But moving several times obviously hasn’t helped. 

Oh! And my assassin snails spawned recently :) The baby snoots are so adorable!

EDIT: oh I haven’t even updated since picking up the blue velvets! A friend gave me 15 or so blue velvets so I happily set up a new tank for them. They were thriving!! I had babies everywhere. And they’re the most gorgeous blue color! I really hope their colony bounces back... I’ll add pics of them too.

2C118FC1-8E92-4EC0-9E61-6F48EAD70946.jpeg

2BD2769A-A8E9-4329-93CA-EFC57DE50C73.jpeg

211D46C7-C2C1-4AF5-B2E7-A8F2946C9E18.jpeg

9832D2E0-0276-4698-8311-A87ACAF0501C.jpeg

AD4DBC3C-B244-459E-A44D-CA7C2B6540BE.jpeg

8C538540-1B1B-4F23-9C7A-BF1F948597C2.jpeg

A48C753C-2F82-4CF2-BAD3-AF66D0DDC5E5.jpeg

93DA4101-9F31-4838-A53E-14BD6A83BF79.jpeg

BBE33606-B06D-4DEE-BE0D-6824773D53D3.jpeg

979BE2A8-1036-4A09-9ED3-383A1BBC139F.jpeg