Learn from mistakes (GOOD INFO)

Just wanted to share my story since I have been having problems with keeping my cherry shrimp alive!

So, awhile ago I posted: here

This post basically stating that my parameters are perfect for these guys yet they are dying slowly after I purchased them.

Well.... I've been becoming a shrimp keeper pro since then! :jig:

(I bolded everything, if your too lazy to read!)

I just wanted to let everyone know (for people trying to get into the hobby) this important information:

A while ago I told myself that my acclimation was basically just for temp really... If my LFS has cherry shrimp, they obviously have good water parameters that will basically match my at-home water parameters for cherrys... WRONG! SOOOO WRONG! I got some cherryies today from the LFS, guess what the TDS was?!??  856ppm!!!!! HOLY $*#^! I'm don't even know how these guys are alive right now..... -.-

So learn from my mistake! ACCLIMATE YOUR SHRIMP FOR AT-LEAST 1-3 hours! This is not just for temperature matching! This is for literally everything... TDS, KH, GH, PH, etc.

Before I was even remotely experienced in shrimp keeping, I heard that these cherry shrimp are extremely hearty. So I just said "ehhh, they can simply use my tap and be okay."

Which in some cases are the truth.. However, shrimp are still shrimp (pretty touchy & sensitive)

I would absolutely recommend you buy a GH, KH test kit! 

With this test I bought, I realized my KH and GH were both extremely low for perfect cherry shrimp parameters and therefore was why some cherrys would die from molting issues.

Feeding is a good argument starter for shrimp keeping. There are TONS of types of food with TONS of different categories and brands. Mainly the important thing is to keep a well balanced diet with a good amount of calcium for molting! The main food source should be biofilm. I would recommend getting some leaves or driftwood for biofilm buildup! Also, do not overfeed them! I know, I know... Feeding them is the best thing every to watch since they all run to the food and basically interact with you. However, overfeeding will EASILY cause bad elements and/or pests like planaria! This is because if are only shrimp in the tank (which should be in a shrimp-breeding tank) There are no fish to eat the worms(planaria) therefore in a shrimp tank, its waayyy more easier to get planaria and other bad stuff!

Buy a TDS meter, you need it. You should always check your TDS in your tanks frequently. In most cases, it will increase slowly indicating eventually you should do a small water change.

I would recommend you buy shrimp from breeders who breed properly rather than any LFS. This is because any LFS usually keeps their shrimp in poor water qualities, and we all know shrimp are sensitive and NEED great water parameters. My LFS's TDS was 856ppm on their cherry shrimp!! That is insanely high!!

Hopefully anyone will find this helpful :geek:

• 3 months later...

ok, how often shrimp keeper should feed them, after see all food just eaten ?

on next day, 2 days after, or next 3 day ?

Thanks in advance

Good advice and basically my learning experience as well. 

In addition to every point you made,  one additional thing I learned is that using RO water with shrimp specific reminerilzer increase survival rate.  

I used to use Seachem alkaline and neutral to adjust ph, but it did little to help reach optimal Gh and Kh for the kind of shrimp in each tank. Death rates decreased but so did survival rate of the fry. But since I've changed to reminerizers specific for neos or bees the survival rate is even better. It's so good in fact that I felt I was ready to purchase the more difficult shrimp like pandas and King Kong.