ADA Amazonia questions

ADA Amazonia questions   

I have read thru most of the related posts here on this site, but would like to confirm some of my conclusions.

I am setting up a new batch of fairly high end caridina tanks and want a low PH medium grain black soil (6 or less) that has a long useful life span. I am currently using 2 of the currently popular soils and while they do archive 6 or less ph, they only seem to last a year or so. I do use only RO/DI with a quality remineralizer and do bi- weekly 20% water changes. My current tanks and shrimp colonies are doing fine. My only question here is if by switching to the ADA Amazonia, will I be able to significantly increase the useful life of the soil.

I understand the 6 weeks wait time for the ammonia to dissipate. I typically use mostly Buce and moss with a bit of driftwood and maybe a scattering of other small lowlight plants.

There are comments here from people talking about 3 years or more on their Amazonia, but we may not be comparing apples to apples either.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Ron.b4, I am currently cycling my own tank on ada Amazonia, and from the research Ive made if you're using RO/DI water the buffers should last years! , but you can only use a remineralizer with 0KH because the KH will eat away the buffers overtime. Saltyshrimp GH+ would be a perfect option. Also should be at least 3-4 inches of substrate to achieve the maximum buffering capacity. Hope this helps !

Hey. I have tanks with ADa Amazonia for 4.5 years now. PH is still 5.8 max. But my RO/DI system produce  water with ph 5.5.After 2.5-3 years breeding slow down a lot .Then you can replace substrate or to add some powders to keep tank  running for 1-1.5 more years. For me it is best substrate ever.

Hello there Ron.b4, I would like to give you my two Cents. I just got back into the Hobby a few months ago, after about 8 year break due to Military. My main planted Aquarium, which houses my prl crs Shrimp uses ADA Amazonia Light, I wanted to cut back on the amount of nutrients leached into the Aquarium, and the less amount of time for the Nitrogen cycle. All while trying to maintain a ph of around 6.5. Well that did not happen. On any given day my ph is near 7.4. it is only untill my CO2 kicks in that the ph lowers to no lower then 6.7. Please, forgive me if I am missing something, or not so knowledgeable when it Comes to soils.

However though GlasGarten Environment Aquarium Soil, is pretty good at lowering ph with RO/DI water. I just Setup two Aquariums around three weeks ago with this soil. The ph for both Aquariums are at a constant ph of 5.9-6.2. with no CO2 injection, or ferts.

I do not have light, or heaters for the tanks at the Moment. The ammonia Levels are pretty low from the get go. I added an Amano Shrimp to both tanks, and they are still alive and HAPPY. Only blue in Color, which I find weird, I would have to say, it is either the lack of light, the cooler temp of 68*F, or the Little bit of ammonia still in the tank. They look super cool though. (they are amano Shrimp, I took from my main tank.)

For the longevity of either of These two soils that I am using, I can not comment on. But I do hope I helped answer some thoughts on your mind. or anyone else who reads your post.