Heater for Shrimp Tank

So I am looking for a better heater for my 20 gallon tank. The one that came with the kit runs really hot and it nearly burned me, so I absolutely do not want it in the tank with my shrimp.

A friend gave me this heater, but I'm not sure if it will work in the shrimp tank. It has a "protective guard", but I know small shrimplets will be able to get past it. The heater has writing  on it that warns it shouldn't be touched, so I worry about shrimplets touching it and getting fried?

Am I correct in thinking that this heater won't work? If so, what is a good alternative? 

Thanks,

IMG_2759.JPG

you can use this heater. with or without a guard the shrimp will figure out if they need to stay away from it.  If you decide to use a heater, keep an eye on the temps for a while to make sure it does not heat the water too much

Seconded.

I got myself a fancy in-line heater to keep my tank at exactly the temperature I thought I needed for my shrimp. After losing my colony slowly over several months, I turned it off in order to reduce the number of unknowns in the tank. I can't say whether or not my heater was killing my shrimp but my tank now fluctuates between 69-74F throughout the year (maybe 3F range in a  given day) and the shrimp seem totally fine with it.

Unless you live in a really cold area, you don't really need a heater. At worst, the heater can take a little too long to turn off (or the thermostat gets stuck) and cook your entire tank without you noticing.

The tank will be in an office with an air conditioner. It shouldn't get too cold outside where I live, I just wasn't sure if the office was too cold.

I also was told by my LFS that they needed a certain temperature to breed, but I'm not sure how accurate that statement was.

I started my colony of Blue Diamonds (neocaridinas like your RCS) a couple months ago and of the 5 breeding size females I have, there are always 3 at any time that are berried.
The temp range I have them in seems to suit them well although I would see what range your office has before omitting a heater. 

Heater killed roughly 200+ shrimp I had in a 40 breeder. The power went out and when it kicked back on the heater malfunctioned & cooked the tank. 

Buddy also lost his whole colony of blue dreams when his heater broke in the tank and took him temps to 80+.

Never again will I ever use a heater those things are death traps.

15 hours ago, DreaminginBlue said:

The tank will be in an office with an air conditioner. It shouldn't get too cold outside where I live, I just wasn't sure if the office was too cold.

I also was told by my LFS that they needed a certain temperature to breed, but I'm not sure how accurate that statement was.

My house is air conditioned, so all my tanks are in the a/c environment.  In the summer the struggle for alot of shrimp keepers is keeping tanks cool... Alot of LFS workers just have a general knowledge of fish or aquariums but the best advice will come from this forum where people who keep and breed these shrimp know what works... I have gotten so much good advice here at shrimpspot! :)

Okay! If you have AC then I'm sure the office will be fine. :) I guess being a fish person I've heard "you need a heater" so many times it's practically ingrained. I'll use that heater for another tank or return it to my friend in case they want to use it.