Panda gobies

Shrimporama

I was at a LFS and they had Panda gobies or loaches.  Really neat fish.  I was told that they are absolutely safe with shrimp.  Same water requirements. Any thoughts?  The last few months I have seen them locally.  They must be newer imports as I have had tanks for years and these are new to me.

thanks all

On 9/15/2017 at 5:48 PM, Shrimporama said:

I was at a LFS and they had Panda gobies.  Really neat fish.  I was told that they are absolutely safe with shrimp.  Same water requirements. Any thoughts?  The last few months I have seen them locally.  They must be newer imports as I have had tanks for years and these are new to me.

thanks all

I've never heard of them so I just googled the name. I have to say they are pretty looking fish. Now, are they safe because they must be kept in a saltwater tank?

Or did you mean bumble bee gobies which are brackish water fish but can survive in fresh water? If so, then I believe they are safe around adult shrimp but definitely not their fry. 

Or or did you mean Panda loaches? In which case I haven't a clue if they're shrimp safe. 

7 hours ago, Jen said:

I've never heard of them so I just googled the name. I have to say they are pretty looking fish. Now, are they safe because they must be kept in a saltwater tank?

Or did you mean bumble bee gobies which are brackish water fish but can survive in fresh water? If so, then I believe they are safe around adult shrimp but definitely not their fry. 

Or or did you mean Panda loaches? In which case I haven't a clue if they're shrimp safe. 

I did the same research and found that panda loaches look relatively safe for dwarf shrimp (I found a cute video of them feeding together, the panda juveniles were about the size of a CRS), but as with any nano fish, assume fry are at risk until proven otherwise. Also, their pattern apparently changes as they age and they look distinctly less panda ish.

I saw them first at Lotus Aquarium in Hawthorne CA a couple months ago. Since I have seen them at a couple other places. I think they are importing them. I almost bought a couple but then thought I have put so much blood sweat and tears into my shrimp tanks that I didn't want to take a chance of introducing a pathogen or create a shrimpoggeddon.  If I see them again I may get a couple for my 50 G planted tank.