Water buffering questions

Hello everyone,

My tapwater is between 13-30 TDS out of the tap, around 1 GH and 1 KH, and 7.0 pH. I'm assuming the best buffer to use is salty shrimps, because I see it mentioned so many times. I don't have any available locally and have just been using equilibrium with success. I would like to know what the recommended buffers are on here and any other tips for raising my TO (Tapwater Osmosis) water is.

Thanks in advance.

Yes it all depends on the species you plan on having.  I assume by you saying buffering you mean remineralizing?  That is you are adding Gh and possibly KH(again depending on species).  I will say you have water most of us wish they had.  If I had a tds that low I would not need a RO unit but could just add GH and be good even with CRS.   

I use Salty Shrimp GH+ for my Crystal Red shrimp and really like the stuff.  It dissolves super fast and well my shrimp seem to love it.  Another question is what substrate are you planning on using?  Again it depends on the species with what you want the PH to be and buffering substrates help greatly with that.  Here is a link I really like that shows many different kind of shrimp and their preferred water parameters to give you an idea what you want to shoot for.   https://www.discobee.com/blogs/news/17030569-dwarf-shrimp-water-parameters

The reason its essentially better to use Shrimp specific remineralizers is because most do not contain much if any potassium in their mix.  Also they tend to have a higher Ca:Mg ratio than the others like Seachem and others meant more for planted tanks.  For example Seachem equiliberium I believe is 3:3:1 Ca:K:Mg where Salty shrimp is 4:1 Ca:Mg(closer to their natural environment levels).  Not saying you cannot use Seachem and others but just showing you the differences.