Whats the best water parameter for neocaridina species...

nicpapa

Hi there i keep a lot of neocaridina..

My tap water is very hard and  we dont drink this water.

But i keep one tank with shrimp rcs, and bnp plecos  breed..

Gk is 24 kh is 22 . :)

In those water rcs get very nice deep  red colors.

In other shrimps tanks, i get ro water, and make a gh 5-6 and kh 1-2 , wihth salty shrimp and baking soda.

Im thinking to adjust kh , maybe saw beter colors?

In a experiment , i move some srhimps rcs with nice red colors, to  a lower gh tanks...

Then the deep red , is missing , im thinking maybe the exoskeleton is biger, in the high gh tank, so thats why the nice red.

I try in some tanks salty shrimp gh kh but i dont like it , it not disolve easily...

I keep in this water : rcs, yellow fire, yellow golden back, orange , topaz blue, and snowballs.

In other waters i keep, crs, cbs, tiges orange, sullawesi cardinals.

It varies for neo's but typically they do best with PH 6.4-7.6, GH 6-8, KH 2-5, TDS 150-250, and temp no higher than 75.  Obviously as you have seen they can be fine in other than optimal conditions.  Its the Caridina that are much more sensitive.  

That is odd that your Salty shrimp does not dissolve well?  When I prep my water I use Salty Shrimp GH+ and it dissolves super fast, I can take a tds/GH reading instantly after and its spot on what it should be.  It must be the KH in the other stuff that makes it not dissolve as easily.  I have not used the GH/KH stuff just the GH stuff.

Hey Nic.  I've really only kept my Neos in SS GH/KH (not other ranges) so I can't really comment on "best".  GH/KH does dissolve more slowly compared to GH+, I just mix mine up the day before in 5 gallon hedpak containers and give it a few shakes the next day as I bring them to temperature. 

I find it interesting that all of those beautiful Neos you've had for this long were done successfully just using GH+ and baking soda.  Now that I'm thinking back, I recall commenting on one of you posts long ago about how much the color "popped" on your topaz's and oranges.  I applaud your desire to improve, but also can't help but think "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" :)

On 18/10/2017 at 9:21 PM, ClownPlanted said:

It varies for neo's but typically they do best with PH 6.4-7.6, GH 6-8, KH 2-5, TDS 150-250, and temp no higher than 75.  Obviously as you have seen they can be fine in other than optimal conditions.  Its the Caridina that are much more sensitive.  

That is odd that your Salty shrimp does not dissolve well?  When I prep my water I use Salty Shrimp GH+ and it dissolves super fast, I can take a tds/GH reading instantly after and its spot on what it should be.  It must be the KH in the other stuff that makes it not dissolve as easily.  I have not used the GH/KH stuff just the GH stuff.

Salty shrimp gh kh not disolve easily...

Thats why i use ss  gh +

On 19/10/2017 at 2:57 AM, Shrimple minded said:

Hey Nic.  I've really only kept my Neos in SS GH/KH (not other ranges) so I can't really comment on "best".  GH/KH does dissolve more slowly compared to GH+, I just mix mine up the day before in 5 gallon hedpak containers and give it a few shakes the next day as I bring them to temperature. 

I find it interesting that all of those beautiful Neos you've had for this long were done successfully just using GH+ and baking soda.  Now that I'm thinking back, I recall commenting on one of you posts long ago about how much the color "popped" on your topaz's and oranges.  I applaud your desire to improve, but also can't help but think "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" :)

It think its the same, what kane be diferetn in ghkh vs gh to raise the gh...

Kh ints no so important for shrmps, i add 1-2 kh just for buffer...

In the past i keep orange in 2kh and 3gh and they dont stop breeding... i think that they are more produce than rcs...

i try to raise  the gh  i done today , water change  wiht 8gh for neos. will see in some months...